BootsnAll Travel Network



Sorry Mum… but there is an embarrasing shot of Dad too!




PA247542

Originally uploaded by kathsmee.

Back in Arequipa we took an overnight but to Ica on the coast of Peru, from where we took a taxi the five minutes into Huacachina. Ica is the area of Peru where the earthquake hit in August, but Huiacachina, a small desert oasis was pretty undamaged. Whilst we checked into what we were told was the nicest hotel in the resort to spoil ourselves for their last few days, we quickly realised the pool wasn’t filled and the place was under going renovations! So after showering there and a quick walk around the lake we spotted another much nice looking place with a working pool and rooms for half the price! So whilst mum and I quickly repacked the bags we sent the boys to sheepishly check us out after only half an hour and negociate a price for the showers! But it was definitely a good choice, the Hotel Suise was excellent and we had a lovely relaxing four days lying in the sun in the mornings until the wind got up at about 1pm, then we would go for lunch, before an afternoon of sandbuggying and sand-surfing, or a local wine tasting tour! Please, ask my Mum all about the Sand-surfing!! One day my Dad and I also took a trip out to Nazca to fly over the lines in a tiny plane, which was good fun and the lines are pretty impressive.

After four days in Huacachina it was time for the folks to leave, we spent our last night on a dune buggy at sunset with a bottle of local wine, before a lovely evening meal at our favorite café. On the Friday morning we all took the same bus to Lima, where they would fly out that night, although Paul and I stopped in Pisco just an hour up the road where we said our (little bit tearful) goodbyes hurridly on the bus. We had a really busy three weeks (stuffed full of Inca museums and ruins as you can imagine) but we had a fabulous time and saw quite a lot of the country, certainly lots of different things and it was really nice to see my parents again. Peru is a fascuinating country and I wish we had had longer there to visit more places and to spend more time off the beatn track rather than rushing from one tourist spot to another, but I guess you just have to see what you can in the time you have and that for us meant just the highlights, same as all the other tourists. But it is definitely on the list of places to go back to, and our Peru experience wasn’t quite over yet……..



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *