BootsnAll Travel Network



Delhi the Taj and Traffic in India

DSCF0520.jpgDSCF05371.jpgDSCF0479.jpgDSCF04871.jpgDSCF0500.jpgDSCF0518.jpgDSCF0519-1.jpg

So I arrived in Delhi the 22nd April and my diary describes it as – “The most overwhelming- filthy, crowded, polluted and scary place that I have ever seen”

Says it all really . What I remember most is the overt poverty on the streets – and the traffic dear God the traffic. So here’s how it works bicycles give way cyle Ricks which give way to motorised Ricks ( run on gas – I kid not) which give way to motorbikes ( hundreds of em) which give way to cars – buses- lorries and then finally everything stops – and I mean stops for the COW. These cows roam free – are sacred and can not be hurt = and they know it. They step out on to roads – and ring roads alike and the traffice swerves /halts and does its best not to hit em. They sleep on the intersections in the middle of the ring roads – and don’t appear to be bothered by the noise etc..

bedlam

One sight I remember whilst being driven by my driver Rami that I hired to take me to Agra to see the Taj- was a lorry – packed to the hilt with people on top hanging off – DRIVING TOWARDS US on the ring road WRONG WAY. apparently its the done thing.

Agra was 4 hour drive from Delhi and the temperature reached a stifling 42. I was destroyed but the car had air con.

Agra is a small crowded little town – very basic but with everything is geared towards its greatest jewel the TAJ Mahal. By that I mean I have never experienced so much hustling- hawking -begging – people constantly pestering you to buy something. Do I eally want a small yellow toy JCB – I think not ?????

We stoped the car outside the main walk through which is jam packed with vendors and beggars alike and got a cycle Rick to the main entrance. At this point I was not impressed with the scene- boiling hot , told that as a foreigner I had to pay 600 rupees whilst locals paid 25 to get in-and really Peed off when My Monkey was denied access..no idea why but Monkey had to go into temp care.

I was with a guide Packash who was lovely and told me quitely to take a breath when we walked through the main doors. I can honestly say – for me the Taj was magnificant- truly breathtaking and no photographs can show its spelndour. It was around 1pm and the sun was just shining brightly making the white marble appear to glisten- and it is so white – gleaming white – truly beautiful.

Walking through the walkways towards it – you notice the towers either side. Apparently they are built to taper at the top at an angle leaning in so that the building from afar looks perfectly symetrical. Like wise with the patterns on the marble – they are signicantly wider at the top to give the illusion that it is perfectly straight.

Jewels are embedded in the mosaics – consisting of Jet – blue stones and Amber. amazing workmanship.
Anyway it was stunning – I did the classic Diana pose on the bench – but with [plastic bags on my feet ( to protect the marble walkways)- and spent about three hours there – walking around and going inside great stuff.

Car journey back involved being accosted at a junction by Snake charmers Monkey men – beggars-lepers hawkers – and the famous comment I made to Rami Driver ” this is like the night of the living Dead ” who then went into hysterics. Very scary actually especially when they began to bang on the windows.

One of the photies shows the snake charmer and monkey man at the side of the car. Other photies show traffic – I know this boring but look closely at the lorry with Beep your Horn Please ” and “Highly Highly Inflammable “written on the back. a tad worrying.

Other photies show the Taj ( doesnt do it justice) The Red Fort, I will try to upload a video clip again showing the fact that we are trying to get across a road junction in the car- hope it works
take a look at the video section and let me know if you are able to play it.

TTFN

Next Instalment Nepal and Everest Base Camp- getting there on the updates



Tags:

Leave a Reply