BootsnAll Travel Network



Marvellous Melbourne

melbourne 004.jpgmelbourne 003.jpgmelbourne 002.jpgmelbourne 001.jpg
Photies show- waterfront Melbourne- ST Kilda- Mark Lisa and Gordon on Pub crawl and View of melbourne

My apologies guys – whilst uploading photies of street art and wonderful other stuff – I DELETED MY PHOTIES. heres what I salvaged More photies of Reunion tagged on to my site in face book
Marvellous Melbourne

Loopy Bus Drivers
I arrived in Melbourne the
2nd October. I arrived by overnight bus from Adelaide- where the bus driver was slightly looped and kept going on about blocked toilets – and the fact that he would not ..REPEAT would not tolerate hot drinks on his bus. He spent 15 minutes explaining to us the H& S of bus flush toilets..far too much information. This was repeated on the hour – every hour – dear God the man had an anal problem I’m sure. He also didn’t know the meaning of the word OSMOSIS which I used in response to his unreasonable loud outburst in public when he shouted at me…… I apparently did not have a ticket to get on the bus – only a receipt for a ticket. I casually remarked in response “how was I to know??? via Osmosis??”

On returning to the bus with the correct TICKET in hand , as I was handing it to him he said in a very strong European accent..” I heard what you call me missy ..I am not an Arsehole…” I looked at him in shock then whispered ..the word I used was not ARSEhole but OSMOSIS..I wouldnt swear at you..he then replies ..’there you go again .. I hear you.”. more loudly from me ..”The word is OSMOSIS..O S M …..oh dear god forget it.”.and got on the bus with a fuming slightly demented driver glaring at me.

MELBOURNE-
A taxi driver from the bus station told me the folowing. The Aussies have a saying – “Sydney is the fast woman on the side – with a carbuncle on the face ( Sydney Opera House)- lots of fun in the short term…but Melbourne is the woman you always come home to, safe , friendly and always there for you. People are infatuated by Sydney ..they fall in love with city of Melbourne”

For some reason I love that saying and Melbourne did not disappoint me. I ended up staying for 2 weeks and I loved the place.
There are numerous markets – coffee houses- fabulous trams, and a city that is so easily accessible and friendly. It reminds me of San Francisco ( another of my all time favourite cities) and although the weather was cold and rainy at times ( it is winter here after all) I found my self out most days wandering the city – meeting friends, and enjoying the old ladies laid back atmosphere.

The street art is remarkable- although technically illegal – it appears that street artists here have a certain standing. The wall murals are stunning – graffitti to be sure … but amazing to see. In one place by the railway line – someone has constructed a lego man climbing the wall out of plastic crates. Fab .

It gives the city a vibrant artsy feel – and culture here is very much top of the agenda. Whilst I was there the Fringe festival was in full flow- and later the next week was the Indian culture festival. Federation Square , Melbourne’s very own modern carbuncle ( although I actaully love the shape of the new architectural buildings) has a giant screen showing the events or close ups of what is going on on the outdoor stage.

Whilst showing Mark and Lisa around when they came to Melbourne ( see later story) we observed the Asian Bollywood dance troupe session live on stage ..where half the participants were white caucasion???? True diversity methinks. Melbourne supposedly has the 3rd ( I think ) largest Greek population in a city next to Athens???

St Kilda
I moved to place called St Kilda – just 20 minutes way from the Melbourne City centre. Imagine an upmarket – Blackpool , but with gorgeous old houses- lots of good restaurants- coffee houses- cake shops – and ice cream parlours. It even has its own ancient theatre ( soon to be showing Bryan Ferry )- a fairground and a boardwalk. ( with penguins)

However the true reason I loved staying in St Kilda was the mixture of people. Drinking a coffee outside- one day I noted down the following:-here’s who wallked past over the period of an hour :_

Everyone appears to have a dog on a lead with a studded collar or designer coat ( on the dog)
Punks- with kilts and bad mohikans..aged about 50
Couple of prostitutes/ rent boys
Two transvestites ( or cross dressers)
Loads of travellers with dreadlocks
Loads of tourists with fat bellies and terrible dress sense
4 hippes
1 true hippy ( ie. aged about 60 still in tie dye)
Lookie likey Victoria Beckams ( 2)

All in all a right mixture of bohemium people – and I so loved it. I could spend hours ( and I did ) people watching here with a good coffee and a book.

Friends in Melbourne

For me – Melbourne became the place to catch up with the friends I had made on my travels around Aussie. Gordon the scottish buddy was fantastic meeting me on his days off to show me around his beloved town.

Gordon ( a true broad scot ) works as a waiter in a French restaurant, where the owners are Greek, the chef Aussie, and no one french works there !!!!!!!The pub crawl he took me on one night was superb. Most of the pubs in Melbourne ( some trendy some not ) have the Melbourne signature of huge old comfy couches. Some have open fires- may favourite the GB ( next favourite La La land) was a mixture of old Kitch and God knows what – but with tattered couches and tables scattered around a huge open fire. On my last day in Melbourne Gordon took me on a walk in the rain down Brunswick street..the most kitsch – trendy Camden like street ever…shops called “all sorts of s***t,” and ” The Nothing Shop.”.

Roast dinners with new friends – watching TV at Gordons flat, meeting up Jo from Perth for lunch on South Bank River , the famous reunion week end with Lisa ,Mark and the Mad German. All of this bred a familiarity in me – as though Melbourne was becoming like a second home away from home.. On leaving I was really really sad to leave.

The Reunion
Friends we had made in the outback travels – actually CHANGED their itinery to come to Melbourne to meet up with us. Lisa and Mark arrived bus lagged in the morning at 8.30am at St Kilda Base ..from the East Coast. They were met by the fabulous duo – Gordon and Karen at the start of their their perfectly timed Itinery of KAZANGEE tours. ( get it????)

Yes we took in the sights of Melbourne – yes we dined in pubs and Vietnamese restaurants ( OK Mark not to your liking). Yes we stayed in St. Kilda – yes we did culture – street art and marked the spot at a famous piece of art on the waterfront ( Mark again ) .
We observed the culture – wildlife and p head life of Melbourne. We even challenged the perception of most people of speech impediments!!!We met with the mad German and had an argument in the Victorian market ..she is German after all.

All in all a wonderful time with great friends- thanks to Gordon of ” Gordon Tours” ( affiliated to Kazangee tours) for the nightlife and to Mark and Lisa for just getting there. Precious times .

Thanks G and friends for giving me such wonderful memories of your old Aussie city. ( see face book – Karen Hughes for photies with friends and leaving Gordon behind in his kilt)



Tags:

Leave a Reply