BootsnAll Travel Network



Heading back Home – 31st October – 1st November 2007

tassie 0121.jpg

Just before I set sail for the WhitSunday Islands- I was told that Dad had been given the news that he may need a serious operation. He wanted me to see the WhitSundays -before I came home. Mum Dad – Sara many many thanks for your honesty in encouraging me to stay just that tad bit longer.Did it for you Dad.

I am heading home tomorrow.

From Airlie beach today – Sydney – LA- then London – Manchester

Am I ready to go home ?– Yes and No.

I have been travelling 8 months now- and I am a little fed up about sharing rooms and living out of a bag . Yes I’ve had the most incredible adventures most of which have been amazing– but I have always been missing out on one bit that would have made it perfect . …namely my friends and family from home to share those special moments with me. I have so missed you all and Rosie my dog . I am really looking forward to seeing everyone again.

In saying that – I have met up with some friends from home who made the concerted effort to join me on my travels.. namely Sara and Geoff – ( wasnt it fun!!! ). Joan another mate was to join me in NZ next month ..but Joan I know you can do it without me kidder. Sorry we can’t be Thelma and Louise this time round.

The friends I have made whilst on my travels – I am sure that many will come into my inner sanctum of special mates along with the other fabulous bunch that I have at home. Namely those people who actually travelled with me or who spent time alongside me whilst enduring challenging experiences .Friends like like Cathy ( The Ashram ), Annie ( Everest base camp ), Emma ( Asia) -(by the way Emma well done on the pilgrimage girl), Heather ,Gemma,
( Asia ) Gordon , Lisa , Mark ( Aussie), and many many others. Cheers for the fab times.

Yep – I am getting ready in my head to come home. Weather here at the mo is a blistering 32. hmm that will be the first shock.

I have treasured every moment that I have been travelling – ups – downs – excitement – chill outs – and education. I have witnessed horrendous povety that has made me cry, I have seen ludicrous displays of wealth that has made me laugh out loud. I have met entrepreneurs, communists, socialists,former Viet Minh fighters,famous photographers,strippers,lunatics,lepers ,monks,miners,triathletes, genius’s,and accountants.
( how many former accountants choose to travel is beyond me….and most can’t budget)

Things I’ve learnt:-

Well never ever judge by first appearances- I’ve met millionaires who dress like tramps,old people who are young at heart, reformed drug addicts who I would trust with my most personal belongings , insecure beautiful women who think they are ugly, the mean the sad, the bad and the ugly( as in robbers and thieves).

Another thing I’ve learnt is that in dire circumstances- do your best to stay calm–shouting ,crying or screaming just doesnt change anything. It just makes you look like John Clees losing his rag. Over time I really had to learn to take deep breaths.. especially after being scammed , robbed and kidded so many times in Asia.

Dont worry about losing anything of material worth – anything at all..it can always be replaced-

Treasure a spectacular sunset or sunrise.

Never be frightened of a challenge- it can be the most exhilerating thing you have ever done

Go off road

Learn to stop..you dont have to be constantly on the move- staying still can be enough sometimes.

Make an effort to learn some of the local language.

Smile..

Take photographs not just with a camera but inside your head.Those memories can never be lost.

Make sure you pack earplugs and a silk sleeping bag,

Getting somewhere whether it by bus , tram , boat plane , rickshaw , van , motorbike, tour bus, raft, long boat,train ..is all part of the journey…

Thats it! I ‘m off…..yes I ‘m frightened and a bit anxious about my next journey into unchartered territory …but journey on we must ……

A special thanks to a very special friend who encouraged me to make this world trip….C I got up to see the Lions..and there are so many more lions out there to see …Thankyou.

Cheers to all who kept reading the blog and e-mailing me. Those e-mails meant so much.See you all soon

Karen / Yoz XXXX



Tags:

2 Responses to “Heading back Home – 31st October – 1st November 2007”

  1. Gordon Says:

    A beautiful last blog Karen.

    Just wanted to say again how much of an honour it was to meet and travel with you. The time between Darwin and Melbourne have been 3 of the best weeks of my life. Your previous post which said something along the lines of “good trips become great trips when you share them with fantastic people” struck a cord.

    Keep me up to date on how things are going back home and any future plans. And when ye have time ye can start working on the “Ankazz” Liverpool itinery. Keep on truckin’.

  2. Posted from Australia Australia
  3. admin Says:

    Many thanks

    Likewise Gordon:-

    An honour to meet you ..keep on trucking and live the dream ….ie the dream that many others dont have the guts , the courage …or sadly the opportunity to fulfill
    Treasure every minute.

    Lol
    Your friend

Leave a Reply