BootsnAll Travel Network



Tasmania- The Wild West Coast- Climbing in high heels- Part one

tassie 007.jpgtassie 008.jpgtassie 001.jpgtassie 002.jpgtassie 003.jpgtassie 004.jpgtassie 006.jpg

Photies show the famous Singapore couple (Lily hands up saying..but it too cold…), Ron Ann and me on top of Mountain Marians Look out overlooking Cradle Mountain- 1st ever snow for Ron, Lake View, Me at waterfall, Sunset in Tassie, Kayaking Lake Clare, Phil the guide and Ron on top of the world

I booked a six day tour in Tasmania- going from Hobart around the West coast then the East Coast back to Hobart.
Hobart is strange little town – very compact – but very very quiet. Everything appears to close early at 8pm ..and the biggest excitement is that it has a Starbucks ( how sad)

Tassie in High Heels
Before going to Tassie I did my research. It is the closest land mass to Antartica so you can imagine how bloody cold it was going to be. It has its own eco weather system – which changes by the minute ie. rain snow, hail, sleet and brilliant sunshine. The main attraction for me is that it is an outdoor pursuits mecca. Fantastic walking, trekking, mountain climbing etc…

Tasmania in High Heels
I packed carefully – walking boots , plenty of thermal and wet weather gear, walking gear – hat , gloves etc…So imagine my surprise ( along with the others on the bus including our guide Phil) when a couple from Singapore get on the bus wearing designer fair weather gear and she in BROWN HIGH HEELS and designer silk trousers.

The guide starts to inform us that – Tassie is famous for its bad weather- but regardless we were on an adventure tour and we would be walking rain or shine. Lily ( wife of Larry) pipes up in limited English..”you mean it goin to be cold..and I have no water gear…we thought it would be hot…I no walk in rain..”

Bemused we discover that the couple have been sold a pup by Qantas. They were told it was sightseeing bus tour of Tasmania, no indication of weather or what to expect. On these trips – you have to stay in basic houses or hostels – all help out with making meals – clean up after you etc…ie muck in. Phil gives them the option to leave and explains to them the nature of the tour and that they need the right gear. They make a decision ..they are coming with us.

It was hysterical- this couple it turns out are very very rich ( by Singapore standards.) He owns shares in a major timber exporting company – and owns three ships) . They have maids and servants at home. They are used to five star accommodation. Their daughter bought this trip for them thinking they would enjoy the warmth of Tasmania whilst they visit her in Melbourne????

They didnt have a clue what to expect and it showed. We were all expecting a tough time of moaning from them – but give them their due – they were great – they mucked in. Lily took photies of Larry washing up – carrying boxes from the bus…drying dishes…you name it. When we did the major hikes – they sat on the bus – played cards – and on one occasion went to the nearest visitor centre and bought us all fish and chips for our return. Very sweet kind and generous people.

I lent Liliy my jacket – spare hats – gloves anything so she could keep warm . When we shared time on the washing up, she told me she “never do this at home..my hands you know…”. When they left us on the third day – they said they had enjoyed the trip immensely…not sure if they were being polite or honest ..but they did have so many laughs with us and Lily demanded a photo with me “Kaara ..arent yooo cooold ……are youuuuu wet ?”

Well done to them for havin a go. Lily even manged half way around Cradle Mountain Lake in highheels!!!!

The West Coast
This is a raw and rugged part of the world . The scenery is amazing – going from rolling mountains like Wales, to huge outcrops and Peaks very like the Highlands of Scotland. For a part of initial journey we drove alongside the DERWENT River and places are mostly named after Bristish towns. We drove through sleet – and then snow. For one Aussie guy it was the first time he had seen snow. Highlights included:_
Driving alongside Lake Clare, Hells gate the entrance to Southern Ocean ,beach walks – a beached dead whale, huge sand dunes staying in places such as Strahen and Tullah.

We paddled at a lake at Tullah at sunset, ( worrying because coming inl lost all sense of direction) and next day climbed to Marians Look out to view the famous Cradle Mountain ( weather to iffy to climb the mountain itself). Hard work walking – and the weather was inconsistent but so so worth it for the views at the top. ( see photies at the top …with snow)

At Davenport we waved goodbye to our Singapore buddies and then next day said hello to a new lot of people joining us for the second part of the trip around the East Coast



Tags:

Leave a Reply