BootsnAll Travel Network



Close encounters of a FURRY kind- Kangaroo Island

DSCF3659.jpgDSCF3604.jpgDSCF3562.jpgDSCF3555.jpgDSCF3524.jpgDSCF3699.jpgDSCF3696.jpgDSCF3659.jpgDSCF3623.jpg

I took a 2 day tour to Kangaroo Island. This involved a two hour drive then 1 hour ferry crossing to the island. We were met by our guide Dee – who was so laid back she could have fallen over.

Pictures show me in a swag on Verrandah,sea lions at play , unusual rocky coast. boxing kangaroos, me, Unusual rocks, and two Kangaroos watching the sun go down

Kangaroo Island
Kangaroo Island is like a wildlife time capsule- separated from the mainland the wildlife that exists there has very few predatators and as a result flourishes. The beaches are beautiful- with amazing rock formations, and whole rock outcrops with wild sea lions and seals. We took time to view these creatures, walking amongst them at times and observing them at play- surfing the waves. Glorious to see.

There is a stretch of the island that has the eucalyptus trees that Koala’s love – hence a little community live there in the wild. We saw them asleep in the high branches of the trees and they are truly sweet animals. Lazy buggers apparently – just eat and sleep and copulate once a year -nowt else. Like most humans I suppose.

At night we stayed in a little cottage – very rough around the edges- but I decided to sleep outside on the verrandah in a swag. I love sleeping outside and I thought it would be my last chance to do so for awhile- besides I needed the space.

The cottage was set in a isolated piece of land with glorious views of the sea from afar. At dusk it was like watchig the Discovery channel- so many kangeroos- wallabies- possums you name it they came hopping around.

We had a BBQ and set a fire and at about 10pm all went to bed. I was toastie in my swag as tight as a frog in a sock ( a BT saying ) when suddenly I was aware that I was not entirely alone. Slowly peering out from under the flap in my swag I was face to face with a possum..

I jumped like hell, and gave a little shriek- but the little bugger just stepped back a bit – and then appeared to just shrug its shoulders and skipped off- non plussed. I started to laugh out loud – these furry things are so funny and sweet looking..and brave – I’ll give em that.

I settled down to sleep keeping an ear out – to hear him return later and make a God almighty row licking the fat from the BBQ, knocking over pans in the process you name it … all on the verrandah where I slept. Dear God more strange bed fellows.

I awoke with the sun just coming up. It was a lovely sight..kangaroos hopping about and the sound of birds singing. How wonderful. What a way to wake up.

I could have stayed longer on Kangeroo Island- but to Adelaide was where I had to return.



Tags:

No Responses to “Close encounters of a FURRY kind- Kangaroo Island”

  1. Alan Tuckwood Says:

    KarennrnrSorry oi have not contacted you for some time. I just need to tel you though that this blog is briliant!nrnrSounds like you are having a fantastic time – really enjoyed bed etiquette!!!nrnrAre you ever coming backnrnrLove Alan x

Leave a Reply