BootsnAll Travel Network



Strange Bed Fellows- Hostel Etiquette- and missing knickers

Whilst I can ( it’s a bank holiday in Adelaide and everything – and I mean everything is closed) I thought I would take this opportunity to explain to you about the various Bed arrangements that I have faced so far.

In Asia – Travelling and accommodation was relatively easy- ie. for a couple of quid in most places you could get a room with A/C – own bathroom in a hotel. For food – well you just ate out. For 80pence – one quid or more you could get just about anything, besides in most accommodation there was no option to cook your own food- no kitchen facilities.

Then I came to Australia and the whole business of travelling is a different experience altogether. Forget Hotels – far too expensive – on a par with Britain really so you are left with Kipping with friendly friends you have met along the way – or the HOSTEL.

HOSTEL ETIQUETTE

Ok so for those of you who have done this skip on – but for those of you haven’t experienced staying in a hostel …this requires – flexibility , patience of a saint and an open mind. Hostels either provide mixed dorms- single sex dorms, or double rooms . Most dorms have 6 beds ( 3 x bunk beds), but some which are the better hostels have 4 room dorms with lockers.

So what have I learnt???

Etiquette

1, If you are the first to enter a dorm – it is your RIGHT – to claim a bottom bunk – less chance of a nasty fall out of bed- this is the ultimate claim. Likewise if you are the last to arrive in a dorm you are usually landed with the least space and top bunk.

2. To claim a stake on space you – immediately make up your bed- sheets provided and throw around some least valuable items of clothing – this is setting up your territory.

3. Nightime etiquette after 10pm – requires that you read by own torch or night light. It is not etiquette to arrive in late – switch on all the lights – fall over drunk or wonder where your bed ladder has disappeared to. Whilst in Darwin – a guy came into my room steaming drunk and it took him 15 minutes to work out that his step ladder had been moved – with all lights blazing at 3 am. I was thrilled.

4. Copulating couples- it is not etiquette to copulate in the bed next to fellow dorm mates. Believe it or not this has happened twice in a dorm that I have shared. The last time whilst the amorous couple got it on – I decided to cough loudly and mumble something like ” Dear God….find another public place..some of us aren’t sharing in your excitement…” the rustling stopped abruptly and the couple left early hours of the morning ..no doubt mortified that we had all HEARD them.

5. You must be prepared to share with the weirdist people – and some lovely people;

Nicest people I’ve shared with – is most

Most odd

However I’ve shared rooms with people who SNORE, Talk , walk , shout and fight in their sleep. Very disconcerting especially if they are ranting on in German or summit. Earplugs are a must.

The oddest person I’ve shared with was in Alice Springs ( well it would be wouldnt it ). There was myself – Gordon , and a Guy called Pete sharing a dorm. Pete at first seemed very mild mannered and friendly. However the fact that he wore camoflauge ( cant spell ) army fatigues plus a hat should have given me a clue . Well actually he was always friendly, but he proceeded to tell us that his brother died recently and on his deathbed his bro turned into an aboriginal!!. He spoke aboriginal and sang. Dave ( from Norwhich) had come out Australia to go to Ayers rock to settle and calm his brothers aboriginal spirit. All well and dandy I thought..let him.

At 5am in the morning I was awoken to see Dave standing at the foot of his bed looking out the window. I pretended to still be asleep but couldnt help but hear his chanting and chunnering on to himself.

On enquiring how we was next morning he told me ” strange things afoot, these bloody aboriginals woke me up this morning, chanting and singing ..didnt you hear it?’

I smiled nicely and thought- what would a mental health worker say?…I said no I hadn’t heard a thing…..AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH- was I glad to be outta there.

Cooking in hostels
Most hostels have fantastic kitchens and cooking facilities. So apart from the old trusty rucksack – you also trudge round with a freezer bag full of condiments eg. salt pepper – tea coffee, the staples to make a meal.

Some hostels have filthy kitchens – so you do not even bother to cook there

Thieving

So far I have been very fortunate with trusting dormfellows and travellers. Of course you take no risks, and lock everything and usually the most that goes is the your milk from the fridge . However I do have to report one loss that took place today at my lovely hostel in Adelaide.

I took great lengths annd money to purchase some goregous black silky knickers in Singapore from MARKS. So rare you get any form of luxury on your travels so knickers and a silk sleeping bag liner are my only luxuries.

Put my laundry in today – go to the dryer- to find everything there EXCEPT my 5 pairs of gorgeous black knickers. To most of you out there, this may not seem like the end of the world – and it isnt – but THEY ARE MY BLACK SILKY KNICKERS AND I WANT THEM BACK.
Mortified and knickerless.

Move on



Tags:

3 Responses to “Strange Bed Fellows- Hostel Etiquette- and missing knickers”

  1. Lisa Says:

    Karen, it could only have been the work of Canadian Nick-he has a penchant for women’s knickers, I have videographic evidence. He obviously flew into Adeleide just to take them.

  2. Posted from Australia Australia
  3. twink bunk beds Says:

    Super-Duper site! I am loving it!! Will come back again – taking you feeds also, Thanks.

  4. BackpackingBex Says:

    Great post! It’s very important that backpackers know the do’s and don’t about hostel living…

    I put together my own Hostel Etiquette Guide on my blog – check it out and let me know what you think: http://bit.ly/dIi7gc

Leave a Reply