BootsnAll Travel Network



Paradise in the Whitsunday Islands- (apart from Airlie Beach)

Whitsundays 004.jpgWhitsundays 009.jpgWhitsundays 007.jpgWhitsundays 008.jpgDay 1a Whitehaven Beach 087.jpgWhitsundays 001.jpgWhitsundays 003.jpgWhitsundays 004.jpgWhitsundays 005.jpg

Airlie Beach

Photies show – the German Girls -Twyla , Karolyn and Maria – debriefing after the trip – me in my figire hugging wet suit which is wet.., The Boat Summertime, Me on Whitehaven Beach , The Essex Girls, View of Boat sailing , Sunset over the Whitsundays – Goregous

This was my first experience of the East Coast of Australia. I had been warned that it would be a totally different scene from rest of Aussie ie. young and drunken travellers just partying. However the gateway to the beautiful Whitsunday Islands is either Harvey Bay or Airlie Beach. I landed on the 23rd Oct at Airlie Beach

Airlie beach

The backpacker accom was OK and I deliberatley got a double room to myself…Thank God!

Airlie beach ..how can I describe it..well its one road full of bars , restaurants clubs and Happy Hours. It is packed with 18-30 year old mobs . Dress code for young girls – short skirt..false tan , blonde hair and at end of night top hanging off.
Dress code for boys..long shorts ( Billabong of course- or Rip Curl)- no shirt- mandatory cowboy hat or Billabong peak cap. End of night strip off and run down road naked.

Everywhere there is the sound of a party whether it be 3pm or 3 am. I dislike this place intensely ..but I’m stuck..I had to be here for the sailing trip that departs to the islands for three days…I hold on..just..with my book ..and decent coffee.

I have lost count the number of times – young Pissed men have approached me whilst I walk along the street early eve – they then get a closer look at me ( obviously my mature look does not appeal..thankfully ) and then they veer off drunkenly in another direction. Horrendous. It is a cattlemarket..and apparently this is borne out by the fact that Airlie Beach has the 2nd highest rate of reported STD’s ( mum dad -this stands for sexually transmitted diseases ) in the world. Where is the first place I ask myself ???. No surprise there then.

I have never so much disliked a place. Trapped in hell.

Sailing the Whitsunday Islands

However this was all worth it when it came to leaving the Hell Hole and getting on the most beautiful sailing boat – Summertime- for a 3 day sailing cruise of the Whitsunday Islands.

The crew- Kristen – Dave and Carla were truly fantastic. The food amazing. The cabin space tiny..but the boat oh …the boat and the views. Glorious. True paradise. The islands are stunning and I am so glad I took the trip. Thanks Sara Mum & Dad for convincing me to do it

Whitehaven Beach

Considered to be the most beautiful beach in the world..and deservedly so.
The finest white sand in the world. Like sugar..it squeeks as you walk along the beach. Pure Silica sand which is so fine it wrecks digital cameras ..but rub it into your jewelery and it comes up shiny.

Beautiful crab trails in the sand – forming patterns I have never seen the like of. The sea ..a deep blue …what a sight. I stayed on this beach for a couple of hours..only downside being bees or wasps not sure..constantly going for my head and one manageing to sting me. A bit of pain to say the least..for those travelling here ( Joan ) remember to take take bug spray. Dont let it spoil the ultimate paradise.

At night on the sailing boat

The most stunning sunset ever and the prescence of a huge full sized moon made this quite an emotional experience for everyone on the boat. Photographs will never do it justice. World beauty at its best.

Kayaking with turtles

Highlights for me were kayaking in Luncheon bay and into the Mangrove areas. This was bloody hard going taking two hours on open water to get there and back ..lovely toned arms though. The wonder of this were the huge giant turtles swimming in the bay – suddenly appearing in front of the kayak- heads peeking up and then disappearing again. They are huge and so funny to see. I saw about 6-7 on the way in and around the boat from then on. They are amazing creatures and the larger ones are aged between 60 – 80 years.

Diving in the Reef
Blue pearl bay for me was one of the most amazing diving experiences I have ever had. Part of the Great Barrier Reef it is rated one of the top dive sites in the world. I took three dives on the boat – every dive a gem but Blue Pearl Bay was stunning. Gliding through coral maizes- multi coloured coral of every description and size surrounding you. At times it closed in on you to form a tunnel or cave. Fish of every description ( inc Kieran Reece …..Nemo fish…hurrah) it was like swimming in a blue aquarium. Huge rays , shoals of barricuda and huge Napoleon Fish
( these are my favourite – huge in size and actually have a face with big lips like Napoleon. )

Absolutely spectacular- and worth a thousand memories…The Whitsunday Islands are truly stunning.

Essex Girls

The only downside to this trip was that on the boat we did have to share- space – time and conversation with what can only be described as the nightmare to all true feminists. Apart from all the German girls who were Fab –including the gorgeous Maria, Melanie ( what time is it and where am I ?) , the wonderful Karolyn and Twyla and who were all fantastic company, we also had the pleasure of ..well as cruel as it sounds ..The Essex Girls!!!!!!!!!

In truth only one girl was from Essex- the others from Canada and a male version of LOADSA MONEY ( But not really ) from Australia ….and yes the true Essex girl did have long blonde hair, over tanned, and was well ..not too bright. ( see photie)
Her friends were all false tanned, wore make up …..even when diving and spoke of such important issues such as ..;-

.”so if you use this conditioner on your hair..it well ..conditions it….”

“what am I going to do without hair straighteners on this trip ?”….and…..

“Oh look ..the sea….”

“I like Britney Spears….”

I like wet suites..they hug your figure…. but they are wet!!!!!!”

I know I am being a tad cruel ..but their only interest was what music to put on – ( yes and that did include Britney )and to hog the water spa at the back of the boat..My opinion is that they thought the world revolves around them solely.. Am I being a grumpy old woman..Jan ?????

In saying that the company of the German girls was invaluable – thanks girls for being the one bit of sanity on that trip ..and for sharing so honestly our thoughts with each other afterwards ( not during the trip.). As Karolyn said …well at least we all know more about exfoliating correctly now!!!!

Hysterical.

The Whitsundays ROCK !!!!!!!!!!



Tags:

One Response to “Paradise in the Whitsunday Islands- (apart from Airlie Beach)”

  1. Weird Says:

    Oh this helps, thanks!

Leave a Reply