BootsnAll Travel Network



Katmandu – Oh Wonderful Katmandu-25/4/07

DSCF0570.jpgDSCF0569.jpgDSCF0561.jpgDSCF0557.jpgDSCF0554.jpgDSCF0623.jpgDSCF0607.jpgDSCF0596.jpgDSCF0590.jpgDSCF0574.jpg

So I arrived in Katmandu on the 24th /25th April and Stayed in the Katmandu Guest House. This is in an area called Thamel and the nly way I can describe it is that apparently its like Bangkok -an absolute maize of shops – restaurants- bars- massgae parlours-travel agents – you name it its here.
First thing I noticed is that the peple are entirely different in attitude – looks and the way they tout for business. No means no and they leave you with a smile.

I think the Nepalese people I’ve met so far are just lovely and I feel very very safe in Katmandu.

I moved from the Katmandu Guest house 2nd day to the fab Excelsior Hotel – where all the staff know you – ask after you and walk you to your door. I am paying 5 pounds a night ( quite expensive here in Katmandu ) for a lovely clean twin room – bathroom – and fab views.

There is every type of food and restaurant that you want here – including Nepalese. I found the famous Dolca Vita Italian Restaurant right by the hotel and for 2 quid yu can have the best pasta and Bruchetta I have ever tasted ( no lie).
Thai – Indian – German- Swiss -Mexican – you name it every type of food can be found here and the quality is superb.

I spent my first couple of days buying gear for the Trek- all lookey Likey Famous Named Gear – North Face – Merrell-Fat Face you name it’s here. I spent around 49 quid getting all named North Face Rucksack – Over trousers – Walking Trousers- 2 tops- 1 reversible fleece and a -30 sleeping bag. The quality was excellent ( I know that now since doing the Trek….not bad at all).

Katmandu is full of Trekkers – Climbers – Tourists – Travellers
and left over 1960’s Bohemians- very bizarre.

Bars are open all night- clubs likewise- and the traffic only stops at about 2 in the morning. Down little alleyways there are Taxis – motorbkes and Ricks all fighting at the same time to get through. Loads of bumps – crashes ( I’ve seen 2 ) but they are going so slow no real damage is done.

The Buddhist temples in Durban Sq and in the quieter side roads – are either the main business meeting places where hundreds congregate ( I witnessed in one Sq about 60 youths in Maoist regalia singing songs -the Communist flags in the background- see photie) or the other extreme is that the squares – are places for tranquillity. My favourite memory was on the way to Monkey Temple ,by accident I wandered into a tiny Temple Sq off the main route. I stayed here for over an hour – as it was a place were people brought their toddlers ( an informal creche)- prayed – ate their lunch -all in the peace and quiet of a beautiful tiny square.

I hope the videoclip works for this- check it out.

Monkey Temple was fab – hundreds of Monkeys playing amongst the relics of a stunning Buddhist Temple- prayer flags – Prayer Wheels ( which you must go around clockwise) and the offer from one man to clear my Chakra’s ( I declined )

On day I took a visit to a nearby village called Patan and it was such a contrast from the bustling Katmandu. Quiet – cobbled streets – but with over 900 Buddhist temples hidden in the alleyways from view. Here I met a young student who wanted to show me around – his price was that in return he could practice his English. His name was Rupendra and he was fantastic. He showed me hidden temples- market places- and introduced me to his home and family.

At his house I met Dad -and his Uncle who spoke perfect English – he had been to Cambridge and sang Tom Jones songs. They were brilliant company. In a tiny room within a 4 storey topsy turvey buliding – where the water ran in we sat together drinking tea.

Turns out Rupendra’s Dad had just retired as an engineer in the Airline Industry and was now just living off his earnings from Astrology readings..apparently he is really well known. He offered to do mine but I couldn’t make the auspicious date he suggestest to do it on as I was going on the trek.
We also talked politics and their thoughts about the Maoist Threat and current political situation. It was fascinating and Dad predicted 10 years extreme bloodshed in Nepal – and then for the first time the country would be lead by a woman who would be loved greatly by the people. Well let’s see if his prediction comes true……its written in the stars he said.Watch this space.

Other memories include :-
Meetng a quite a few westerners and foreigners who I shared meals with including- a woman who worked fro the UN , another in Human Rights- a washed out Rock N Roll performer- and a Norwegian who thought paying 50 pence for a room was far too expensive!!!!!! Prat
On the 28th I met with the group I would be sharing 15 days with in extreme circumstances- on a trek where I had no idea how fit I would be in comparison.

My first thoughts on meeting with the rest of the group was how nice they all were..AND HOW BLOODY YOUNG!!!!! all aged between 25- 30 you can imagine how I felt . Only compensation was that there was one guy Nick who looked older than me ( but we never knew if he was-) and the guide who was one year younger than me…. Imagine how I felt–I never slept the night before- imagining the dreaded Altitude Sickness or being carried off the mountain in a stretcher. Suffice to say that didnt happen……next instalment when I can

Photies of Katmandu – VC of Monkey Temple -VC of Square

TTFN



Tags:

Leave a Reply