BootsnAll Travel Network



Wurtzburg and Bamberg

18 Nov – 20 Nov, 2005

Alex and Maren. No, not a couple, just a pair. We met them in Myanmar (Burma). If you think we got a lot of contacts from that trip, you’re right. In fact, this year we have seen almost everyone that we met and exchanged emails with from that trip.

Wurzburg
Wurzburg

We were taken to our first Christmas market for 2005. In a nearby village. Avoiding the direct route, we drove up the other side of the river. Here, we had to take a quaint ferry over the river, with just room enough for the car and us, and then steered across using the river’s current.

Part of the market was dedicated to wine smelling. Yes, normally it is tasting, but the tastings were large and paid for (i.e. were glasses of wine). All around a large barrel were glasses of wine for smelling. Many fruit flavours, and other weird stuff that should never be mixed with the fermented grape juices.

Wine smelling
Wine smelling…

And dinner in a Franconian winery. Fabulous local specialities, all served by an authentic grumpy Franconian vintner. Actually, we felt he contributed to the overall atmosphere of the night. Good wine, great food, excellent company, grumpy service, and a genuine monk with a glass of the establishment’s finest in his hand. A memorable dinner.

We spent a day in Bamberg, too. This is certainly one of Germany’s finest towns. A couple of glasses of the Bamberg speciality, smoked beer, accompanied our lunch.

Bamberg
Bamberg



Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply