BootsnAll Travel Network



Roraima – The lost world

15 Mar – 20 Mar, 2005

Our main reason for choosing to visit Venezuela was to climb Roraima, a tepui (table mountain) in the south east of the country. The isolated top, with weird rock formations and endemic plants and animals, was the inspiration for the novel “The Lost World”. It is on the triple frontier of Venezuela, Brazil, and Guyana. Six days in total. 2 days ascending, 2 days on top, and 2 to return.

Approach to Roraima
Approach to Roraima. Day 1 of our 6 day trek/climb. Roraima is the tepui (table mountain) on the right, with Kukenan Tepui on the left.

Part way up Roraima
Climbing the slope, approaching the sheer cliffs. Day 2 was the most strenuous day, with over 1600m ascent.

Roraima - Nearly there
After the steepest part, and metres below the top. What a great position to appreciate the sheer cliffs that surround Roraima, and to look back at the fault in the cliff that created the ramp allowing foot access.

Flying turtle
The Flying Turtle, one of the first rock formations to greet us on our arrival.

Roraima landscape
Weird landscape. Sandstone weathered by wind and rain.

Roraima landscape
Call me “King of the Mountain”

Insect eating plant
One of a few species of carniverous plants that is found on top.

Roraima sunset
Sunset from our campsite.



Tags: , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply