BootsnAll Travel Network



Proud Belgrade, and the surrounds

20 Sep -24 Sep, 2005

We had trouble finding accommodation that could sleep us for the entire time we were planning for Belgrade. European basketball finals, so the story was the same everywhere. Ended up in an acceptable place close to the station, although coffee was not included in the breakfast. Lemon tea with more lemon than tea, was the barely drinkable alternative.

And while Belgrade itself was nice, and we were surprised to see the number of tour groups that we did, the attractions we enjoyed the most were in the surrounds.

A trip to Subotica near the Hungarian border. A medieval monastery near Novi Sad.

Kalemegdan Citadel
Kalemegdan Citadel

Sveti Marco
Sveti Marco

Sveti Marco interior
Interior of Sveti Marco

Belgrade security
Police lined up for unknown reasons for days on end…

There were the usual and expected sights. Churches, fortifications, café strips, etc. We were, however, just a little unprepared for the pride the Serbians placed in their war tropheys. Captured armaments from Kosovo, and from the United Nations before that. Highest place of honour went to any scraps of U.S. aircraft. In particular, stealth bomber bits and pieces.

Piece of Stealth Bomber

The festivities at the grand fortress of Smederovo were a surprise and ended up turning a few hour trip into a wonderful epic.

Smederovo Castle

Smederovo Castle



Tags: , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply