BootsnAll Travel Network



Back in the ‘City of Heroes’

Here we are again. As we’ve been before, we are again. Renewal, rebirth, re-charging, and a bit of rethinking. We have just moved back to a familiar place.

Surabaya Days … Today

This is the ongoing story of a life in Surabaya, Indonesia.
We are living in the second largest city in Indonesia.

Life in Surabaya is rewarding, interesting, frustrating, enriching, exciting, frightening and surprisingly comfortable.

I’m home again.

Back again, and cursing these darn slow computers.
My connection here is very slow
I was spoiled by China’s high-speed ADSL connections
Now I’m back to a 56k cable modem
… “Stone knives and bearskins”
It’s why I likely won’t post many photos. It takes too long.
I’m also disenchanted with the digital camera. The quality of the pictures isn’t that good. Perhaps it’s my relative inexperience, or just that I prefer my old Pentax or the newer Olympus.

Surabaya is at once familiar, and strange. The streets look the same, and many people, family and friends, are still here – but there are new places and newer faces.
Surabaya has some wonderful things to experience.
Great weather, except for the rain.
Great food. Surabaya has a mix of Chinese, Indonesian, western and Korean restaurants. Some are inexpensive, many are not.
Good people. These are not the imagined terrors of a hundred overdone news reports.
Just average people living fairly average lives.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply