BootsnAll Travel Network



Planning the best Australian working holiday for your gap year

Australia is a great destination for students who want to take a gap year. The country has a warm climate and a good mix of urban and country terrain. As such, there many different kinds of work opportunities in Australia, from office work to farming, fruit-picking, and even jobs in ski resorts. You will be thrilled to know that a student can find a job in any of these areas.

Taking a gap year after college is a great

way to explore the world and gain some real-life experience. A round-the-world trip is an excellent way to gain some maturity and will benefit you greatly in your academic and career pursuits. Before you leave for Australia, you will have to secure a working holiday visa. This visa is issued to persons aged 18 to 30 allows you to work in Australia for 12 months. Once you have taken care of your travel admin, you can start looking for a job. Because Australia is such a dynamic country, you will find hundreds of types of jobs, from fruit picking to teaching people how to surf.

Fruit Picking

Gap Year activities

Things to do during your gap year

Much like fruit farming, fruit picking is a seasonal job. While the job may appear easy, it requires physical labour often in hot weather. Nevertheless, it is a good way for you, as a traveler, to earn money because you do not need a qualification or experience. What’s more, you will get a chance to experience Australian nature. November to April is the busiest period for fruit picking and the main harvest normally takes place in February. Fruit picking is however an all-year chore in regions such as northern coastal areas in New South Wales.

Queensland

A third of Australia’s fruit and vegetables is grown and harvested in Queensland. It should be easy to find work here as farmers often hire migrant laborers and helpers. The Queensland region produces many different crop including bananas, vegetables, sugar can, beans, as well as wool, cotton, and cattle.

New South Wales
New South Wales is said to be one of the best places to find work as a fruit picker. Farming in general involves cattle, pigs, and hay, but as a fruit picker you will likely work with apples, and perhaps wheat and rice.

Victoria

The fruit picking season extends from November to April and peaks in February in Victoria. Cobran is the predominant fruit picking area as it has a variety of fruit. Other crop is farmed in the Yarra Valley.
Remember that if working outdoors is tedious, you can offer to lend the farmer a hand with indoor farm work.

Surf Instructor

To be a surf instructor you have to know how to surf. There are many surf instructors and schools from which you can learn the sport. You will learn not only to navigate the waves, but also get into shape, learn lifesaving, and volunteer at a registered surf school. Surfing in Australia is a serious business so the entry requirements are very specific. Once you have mastered the skill yourself, you can begin teaching others. The surf capital of Australia is the Gold Coast in Queensland. The Gold Coast has around 57 kilometres of coastline and is home to some of the most popular surf breaks in Australia.

After a long day of surfing, taking a time out at one of the Gold Coasts hottest casinos is not a bad option too. Winning a bit of cash on the side while enjoying a night out isn’t a bad thing either, especially when gap year funding can sometimes be on the low side. And hey, for those who don’t want to face the crowds at a land-based casino, there is always Euro Palace slot games that you could try out online.

Dive Supervisor

If you have any experience diving then perhaps you will enjoy sharing that experience with others by overseeing dive lessons. Diving is a popular hobby on the Australian coast and there is always hundreds of positions available. As a dive supervisor you will be responsible for coordinating and supervising all diving activities. Be aware that you need certain qualifications and training in this field to fill this position.

These jobs capture the spirit and culture of Australia. So not only will you earn vital travel money, but you will get a chance to experience Australia as it is.



Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 responses to “Planning the best Australian working holiday for your gap year”

  1. I was curious if you ever thought of changing the page layout of your
    site? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better.
    Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or 2 pictures.

    Maybe you could space it out better?

  2. Wayne says:

    It’s a good point
    i will look at some other designs
    Still trying to find some pictures for this article
    Regards,Wayne

  3. david sammon says:

    It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d definitely donate to this fantastic blog!
    I suppose for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to new updates and will share this website with my Facebook group.
    Talk soon!

  4. Good day! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after reading through some of the post I
    realized it’s new to me. Anyhow, I’m definitely glad I found it
    and I’ll be book-marking and checking back often!

  5. With havin so much content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright infringement?
    My website has a lot of unique content I’ve either
    created myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over
    the web without my permission. Do you know any techniques
    to help reduce content from being ripped off? I’d
    certainly appreciate it.

    Here is my website: cruise travel agency

  6. Wayne says:

    Over the years I have seen content; writing, photos and video, lifted and placed on other sites. It’s annoying and I actually don’t see what they gain as most of the content is fairly specific. At the end of the day you can’t really do too much about dishonest people and sites. Wishing you all the best.

  7. Please let me know if you’re looking for a article writer for your blog.
    You have some really great posts and I think I would be a
    good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d really like to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.

    Please blast me an e-mail if interested. Thank you!

  8. Awesome blog! Do you have any helpful hints for aspiring writers?
    I’m planning to start my own site soon but I’m a little lost on everything.

    Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress or go
    for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m completely overwhelmed ..
    Any recommendations? Thanks!

    Taake a look at my website; get paid for taking surveys

  9. Kali Picton says:

    Nice read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him smile Therefore let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch!

  10. Theron Leske says:

    I gotta bookmark this site it seems very helpful handy

Leave a Reply