BootsnAll Travel Network



There are no monkey’s in Monkey Mia- Western Coast OZ

DSCF2777.jpgDSCF2781.jpgDSCF2790.jpgDSCF2797.jpgDSCF2680.jpg
Pictures show Gini and I, Beach Gini with pelican, the Pelicans at Monkey Mia and the beautiful wild dolphins coming to visit

From Kalbarri we headed to a far western coastal resort called Monkey Mia. Just to reiterate there are NO MONKEY’s in Monkey Mia, but plenty of wonderful wild dolphins.

It is a goregous beach resort – with friendly pelicans wandering around the beach. In the early morning the dolphins swim inshore to be fed by volunteers,. This has been going on since the 19 50’s or so, and although only strictly 5 female dolphins are fed in this way with a quota of fish, there is a whole school of dolphins playing around further out , the males ..well being typically male and sticking together , and the calves staying close to mum.

Each morning from 7 am ,loads of people – coachloads come to see the feeding , and some get the opportunity to feed the dolphins. However the best time was when the crowds dispersed and were gone by 12ish. Then you could wade out into the shallow waters in the sea swimming area, and just stand there waiting. On one occasion a dolphin just swam up to me circled me and gave a look over. She or he stayed about twenty minutes just flirting with me in the water, then she was off. fantastic.

You are not allowed to touch ther dolphins as it has been discovere that we lovely humans pass on diseases , and they could die. So I kept to my word and just watched. That was enough./ They are such funny graceful animals and up close the way they look at you, its indescribable. They appear so intelligent , and I’m sure they know alot more than we mere mortals. I loved these creatures. Another dream come true.

At Monkey Mia – I shared a room with some great girls, Nicky a German who was volunteering at the resort and the mad Swiss Melanie. Many laughsto be had especially the competitive yoga sessions, swiss sick jokes and teeth shields..long story.

Idyllic place Monkey Mia, but by now I was geting a tad bored with idyllic beautiful beaches..isnt that wierd? I needed to see summit else and a change of scenery.

With Gini as fellow passenger – and the same bloody CD’s playing we heaed back to Geraldton towards Perthover 800 plus Kms drive.

GeraldtonIs a s*#*t Hole. I hated this place. We stayed overnight in the most scary and depressing hostel. I am pretty sure it was either a rahab place for former addicts or people with serious mental health issues..either that -or Geraldton breeds lunatics. Actually they all did look rather alike……Felt quite scared at night here and slept with my hand tightly on my money fanny pack.

Here I said tata to Gini. Good luck girl on your huge drive round.

I was strangely relieved to get back to Perth- it felt familiar and rather like a second home. Thanks thanks to Steve and Jo’s kind generosity for leting me stay so long.



Tags:

One Response to “There are no monkey’s in Monkey Mia- Western Coast OZ”

  1. janballinger Says:

    im worn out your activities are awsome you must be super fit,the pics are great i loved the dolphins i also had the pleasure of meeting one in turkey this year and i agree they do look you up and down with a sort of wise knowing look,i laughed my head off at buffaloe story and the photo.it seems to be exactly how its portrayed on tv and films youve seen on telly, ithink i enjoyed cambodia better what say you….love and friendship jan

  2. admin Says:

    Cheers for the feedback Jan

    yea I loved Asia especially Cambodia – but Aussie has its own type of appeal..just different what say you ?? great talking to you last night
    Love and friendship
    Karen

  3. Posted from Australia Australia

Leave a Reply