BootsnAll Travel Network



Daaarlin Didgeriedoo’s in Darwin – 9th September

After saying goodbye to Steve and Jo ( who was in Sidney at that time ) and giving them my heartfelt thanks for putting up with me for so long, I left Perth and flew to DARWIN.

DARWIN

I ended up in a hostel called Elkies- which was friendly , spotless with a great communal feel to it. It was also a great base to start a Northern Territories Trip.

Darwin is an odd place, very hot and with a sort of chilled laid back tropical feel to it. However it is really quite tiny and practically all the action takes place on one long street Mitchell.

There appears to be a very lax attitude to pot filled evenings, and the smell of marijuana and the sound of papers being rolled was everywhere. Drugs are not my scene at all ,but that aside I really enjoyed the evenings around the table at night – with stoned out hippies playing the the didgerydoo, and drums.

On my birthday , I decided to retire to bed around 9pm and read . It was a glorious time , tea ,toast a room to myself and a good book. What more could you ask for?

Here at the hostel I met up with the now famous Gordon from Scotland. We discovered we had booked on to the same 9 day tour to Alice Springs then on to Uluru ( Ayers Rock).

It was the start of a beautiful travel buddy friendship. The guy is hysterical and the morning we were about to leave ( at 5am in the morning) he is distraught as he is receiving numerous drunken texts telling him that not only have SCOTLAND beaten France in the footie , but that they did it in FRANCE. “Here I am about to embark on what could be the best tour of a lifetime and I am distraught that I’m not at home at the party …”

No consolation later on the bus for Gordon when he happened to be sitting next to two french guys.Asking them what they thought about the RESULT and ready to rub it in – he was met with blank looks and the fact that they disliked footie- either that or they were totally disinterested. Ya man was inconsolable

No photies of interest for this blog sorry chaps



Tags:

Leave a Reply