BootsnAll Travel Network



Kampot

I read on the way here that rat meat and dog meat prices have doubled, hope it doesn’t affect the inflation figures by too much. Maybe Rentokil should expand here, they could catch the rats and sell the meat and it sounds like they need some financial help. Also dog-napping on the increase, just not enough here.

Kampot a quiet riverside town near the Vietnamese border. Famous for its black pepper and a few pleasant sites around, however the sites not good enough for me for a revisit. In Kampot itself not a lot seems to have changed, still a little bit quaint with its decaying colonial buildings.

Very quiet in the day, on Bloomberg they mentioned about elections here and have seen a few posters around. But the people seem to have lost their interests in politics long ago. With the governing party ruling the country with that tried and tested way so popular in African countries I think it is fairly safe to assume who will win and what the outcome will be. The elites take everything, the country and people get nothing and and social responsibilities are handed to NGOs and aid agencies, a never failing winning formula. The only consolation is that at least the elites handing out large parts of the country to British, French and Russian “investors” so our investment bankers/funds gain. Ok, its causing very large numbers of people to be removed from their houses/land at gunpoint but they should be used to it, it was the same under the Khymer Rouge.

I like Cambodia but after 4 visits I still think the politics and running of the country leads a lot to be desired and that is being polite. I am not sure what the people have done to deserve so much injustice and the West has been just as guilty as anyone.

Anyway off to Vietnam next and that is one country where certainly no one tells them what to do !



Tags:

Comments are closed.