BootsnAll Travel Network



Hengyang 2

To be honest Hengyang isn’t much more exciting at 3.30pm, the only difference is at 3.30am you can’t see much because its dark, at 3.30pm you can’t see anything because of the pollution. I did make a vague effort to look around, there were places mentioned on the internet but after a few minutes realised just how bitterly cold it is and kind of lost interest.  Times like this that you realise how useful the internet is.

After writing this morning, left here and there was a KFC just opening up, not quite McDonalds but they do a better breakfast.  Then went to the train station and learnt from the long queues student holidays just starting which probably explained the packed train last night. At least language no problem and the ticket clerk unusually helpful and got her British Rail Chinese – English phrase book out and wrote everything out for me – I do have one but its still hiding at the bottom of my backpack, keep meaning to get it out.  The downside is no train to Zhangiajie until 7.30 tonight and then arrive 3.30am so another awful arrival.

Z is a national park and anther UNESCO heritage site so should have some stunning scenery but in this weather probably the only stunning thing will be the 25 pound entrance fee. But has to be done and if there is snow should be nice, admittedly the students did recommend I buy a proper jacket, obviously haven’t been taught about global warming and how hot everywhere is getting !.  Just hope they don’t take all the hotel rooms but hopefully they have more sense than to go sightseeing in winter.

Off topic, was told that the student balance in so highly in favour of girls that now the universities are having to accept men in equal numbers even if they fail their exams. Which is kind of strange given that there are so many more men than women (everyone wants a boy and with a one child policy have a habit of getting one) even going by the official statistics and whilst travelling at least on the East coast the difference seems even greater.



Tags:

Comments are closed.