BootsnAll Travel Network



Machu Picchu

17 Jun, 2005

Machu Picchu
Before sunrise.

We got up insanely early (you kind of feel you should be making a sacrifice for these things) at 5.00 (impressed?). That got us up there in time to watch the sunrise over Machu Picchu. It was just so beautiful. Not to mention a few llamas casually wandering around, what more could you want? We hiked up a trail for a brilliant view from the other side of Machu Picchu, just amazing. Met a Perth couple who had literally just become engaged (he proposed as the first rays of sun hit Machu Picchu!!)

Machu Picchu
A local enjoys the classic view.

Machu Picchu
High above. View from Huayna Picchu.

Then it was time to avoid the crowds (daytrippers coming up from Cusco in large groups were starting to arrive), so walked along another side trail for a bit to have lunch, and by the time we got back to the ruins the crowds had disappeared. At the moment over 1000 people a day visit Machu Picchu (most of them between 11am and 2 pm, so during those hours it is impossible to move).

Stayed for 11 hours altogether, and watched the sun set over the ruins as we munched on Pringles, nice way to finish the day!!!



Tags: , , , , ,

One Response to “Machu Picchu”

  1. Blanca Nieto Says:

    Certainly the sunrise at Machu Picchu is one of the wonders of all the travel experience.

    Regards

    Blanca Nieto
    Tourism Director
    http://www.Machu-Picchu-Mysteries.Info

  2. Posted from Peru Peru

Leave a Reply