BootsnAll Travel Network



It’s Istria

15 Oct – 17 Oct, 2005

Our return to Istria was prompted by the weather. In 2002, we did the “sights” of Istria, Porec, Pula, and Rovinj. But, oh how it rained back then. The marvellous sunny week we have been having was what helped us decide which way to go. “Wouldn’t it be nice to see Rovinj without ankle deep water running down the cobblestones?” Definitely the right choice to return.

Stopped for a few hours on our way through at Labin, mainly to visit it’s extremely interesting museum, built on top of an old coal-mine entrance.

Labin, Croatia
View from Labin museum

Then on to Rovinj for a couple of days.

Rovinj

Rovinj

Rovinj sunrise
Sunrise on Rovinj. One advantage of having to catch a horrendously early bus.

Even did a boat excursion to nearby Lim Fjord. This is the most touristy thing we have done in a long time. And at the rate which the crew were providing the locally made alcohol, it turned out to be a real bargain 😀

Lim Fjord, Croatia



Tags: , , , , ,

2 Responses to “It’s Istria”

  1. Kirin Says:

    Hello,

    Came upon your website when looking for travel in Croatia in October.

    I have never been and am planning to go this October. What would you recommend? Is it a nice time?

    We are going for about two weeks… and wondering about hotel, travel within the country, and what is the best route to go.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. admin Says:

    We had a fantastic time in October, but maybe were a bit lucky with the weather.

    One thing to be really aware of – October sees the beginning of low season (or at least reduced) ferry timetables. Some islands may only receive ferries once a day or a couple of times a week.

    But, you will find reduced accomodation prices, and fewer crowds.

    If you are only going for a couple of weeks, you will probably be only doing major destinations, which means the ferry timetables will not affect you so much. Best route? – Just work up or down along the coast – inland has not so many sights, or are not difficult as a day trip (such as Plitvice Lakes).

    For accom, at that time of year, you should do alright just turning up in town and bargaining directly – if you pre-book, you will lock yourself in to a schedule (and you may find the places are not located as well as some you find by turning up). The bus system is pretty good, and again, booking legs the night before should be easy enough.

    Hope this helps.

  4. Posted from Australia Australia

Leave a Reply