BootsnAll Travel Network



An oasis

24 Jul – 27 Jul, 2005

Huacachina is an oasis, 4 km from Ica. Nothing but sand. And all of a sudden, in a depression, a lake surrounded by palms (OK, and some hotels and restaurants, now). Metres from the lake shore, the green just stops.

Huacachina

And what do you do with so much sand? Buggies! Insane, and a hell of a lot of fun. Oh, and sand boarding. Not quite as insane, but just as much of a ball. Although, to do boarding without the buggy would be a lot of work. Climbing soft sand dunes takes a lot out of you. Where are the chair lifts?

Sandboarding
Lot more friction than snow. This is both a plus and a minus to novices…

Huacachina
Taking a break.

We did have a small earth tremor over breakfast, one morning. The lady at the café just kept going about her business, oblivious to the fact that the ground felt like it had small waves flowing through it. A pot plant inside flapped about in sync with the ground, and the tremor seemed to last for almost a minute, but probably it was much less.

A day trip to nearby Ica had us spending some time in one of the best museums in this part of the world. The rest of the day was in the plonk. Great wineries, and despite the local specialty being Pisco, we did end up with a bottle of white.

Skulls
Trepanned skulls, Ica museum.



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply