BootsnAll Travel Network



7 days until trip begins and movie references

Time is really getting close. I must admit I do experience bouts of cold feet. Living in Louisiana for the last two months has been great in the fact that I have gotten see family and friends, but it also makes it harder to leave. I have once again gotten use to having all my family and long time friends around me. During my five years that I lived away from home, I had adapted to not having them be as big a part of my life as they have been for the last few months. Despite all this, I doubt I will be reenacting a scene from “Runaway Bride” at the airport. Picture it. I slowly make my way up to the ticket agent while looking all around me. I hand her my ticket. She scans it and attempts to hand it back to me. As she does, I turn and run leaving her standing at the gate with a bewildered expression on her face.

My last day of work was yesterday. It hasn’t sunk in yet that I don’t have a job anymore. I still feel like I have to go to work on Monday. After work I drove to New Orleans as I was going to volunteer at the regional science bowl on Loyola’s campus on Saturday. A friend (Allison), her nephew, and I were going to spend the night at the Hampton Inn on St Charles Avenue as we had to get up really early to work at the science bowl the next day. I arrived at at the hotel before Allison. As the reservations were in her name, I couldn’t check in yet. I decided to take a walk down St Charles Avenue and look at the big homes. I just so happened to mention this to my mother on the phone. She called me at least two times to make sure I was still alive. For those of you who don’t know, the crime rate in New Orleans while never low is higher than it used to be and this had her a bit worried. It took some work to convince her (and I don’t think I was successful) that I would be fine as it was still daylight out and people were everywhere. This doesn’t give me a warm fuzzy feeling about how my parents are going to handle my trip. I think both my father and my mother will probably prefer that I tell them about things on my trip after I have completed them. This way they won’t worry if I survived or not. Anyway back to the story. Allison arrived and we checked into the hotel. Allison and her nephew went to a basketball game, and I ate dinner with my uncle and aunt who live near New Orleans. At the science bowl, I was a rules judge. This basically meant that I had to make sure no one was cheating or talking when they shouldn’t be. I only had to raise my voice once. As always, I was firm yet nice.

Tonight, I am packing all my things up once again and moving. I have been living with some friends who live close to work and I am moving to my parent’s house. My parent’s are currently living in a small one bedroom apartment that they converted from a shed while they are building a house. I will be sleeping on the sofa for the next few days. While I was packing, I was watching part of the movie “Ghost”. My friends don’t have cable and nothing else was on. It was great to rehear such classic lines as “I love you. I have always loved you. Ditto”. You have also got to love the 80’s CGI graphics. The demons looked liked the came out of a box of Count Chocula cereal. The silhouettes of the people in heaven at the end of the movie remind me of the tall skinny big headed aliens in “Close Encounters of the Third Kind”. Tomorrow I plan to go through my backpack and make a final list of things that I still need to buy for my trip. After that I will post a packing list as I have gotten lots of questions about what I am taking.



Tags:

One Response to “7 days until trip begins and movie references”

  1. Mom Says:

    I, too, thought about how worried I was when you were in New Orleans and the fact that I was going to have to release you so that I could handle your trip. Yeah Right! Easier said than done, but I will do my best. Your daddy and I are very proud of you and wish you all the best.

    Love, ***MOM***

Leave a Reply