BootsnAll Travel Network



15 days until trip begins

Time is getting really short but the reality of the trip still hasn’t set in yet. I have one week of work left and then one week after that to wrap everything up. It’s been a while since I have written, but I wanted to wait until I had something interesting to write about so as not to bore all of my loyal fans.

My pre trip chores are pretty much complete. I have some reservations that I need to make for Fiji. I plan to work on that next week. Last week, work sent me to the South Haven plant in Michigan. I was supposed to spend two days at the plant but the curse of the Atlanta airport got me again. Two out of my four flight segments (including return) were delayed. My bag was misplaced and in addition to that the luggage office was out of toiletry kits. I got to South Haven much later than I expected so instead of going to the plant, I decided to try to get some pictures of Lake Michigan.

South Haven is a resort town on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan. During the summer the town is packed but it was pretty dead when I was there. After checking into my hotel, I drove down to Lake Michigan and parked at the beach. The lake was frozen over and the ice was covered in snow. (It snowed on me nonstop during this trip and the temperature never climbed past 20F.) The ice extended all the way to the horizon. When I looked really hard, I could see waves lapping on the ice. There was a lighthouse on this particular beach that was accessed via a snow covered walkway that extended out into the lake. My original intention was to walk to the lighthouse, but I decided against it when before I even got to the walkway I hit a patch of ice and my feet caming flying out from under me. I rather ungracefully, and I am sure to the amusement of everyone else parked at the beach to watch the sunset, landed flat on my back. I decided not to risk a repeat performance on the walkway and the potential fall onto the ice covering the lake.

Below are some pictures I took at the lake. There are more pictures accessible by the trip photos link on the right side of the screen.


Me freezing in 18F weather

Originally uploaded by brogge1.


385538349_6fe4aefe7f_m.jpg

385535982_652c797d7d.jpg



Tags:
, , , , ,

One Response to “15 days until trip begins”

  1. Dogwood Dell Says:

    It appears that the adventure has already begun.

    Yeah – South Haven was not part of the “Grand Adventure” but it’s a good test run of all the problems you’ll likely encounter on your travels.

    Please provide current postings when your journey begins …..

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Kellie Says:

    I can’t believe you’re leaving in two weeks!

    I also can’t believe that you slipped on the ice. Well, maybe I can…I’m prone to slipping as well. Too funny….

  4. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply