BootsnAll Travel Network



Sleazy Singapore

Tara to Emma

8/8/07 I flew out of Bangkok to Singapore. This was after saying a tearful and emotional goodbye to Emma in Thailand. We had became great mates on our travels and I wish Em good luck on her huge trek in across the Pyrenees – Go girl!

Sleazy Singapore

I arrived in Singapore to find that there was very little in accommodation to be had due to the fact that I had arrived the day after the National Celebrations and The Womad Festival , so the city was booked out.
I finally found a hotel called the Flower Opening ( very dubious title for obvious reasons). They rented rooms by the hour and it was very very busy especially at night with the evening traffic. Jan B it was worse than the knocking shop we stayed in in London during AFTAThought days……

The area it was situated in was – well very sleazy..and the working ladies were very friendly waving to me as I walked past. In my room I found a used toothbrush – newspaper and comb…UUUUUUHHHHH. Didnt sleep a wink with the noise- even with my earplugs in.

Next night I found another hotel which was much nicer but cost a fortune.

I found Singapore to be far too clinical for my liking. Strict laws everywhere.There is no litter, no gum , no jaywalking, you name it ..you couldnt do it..I found it also had no soul as a city.
It appears to be one huge shopping mall, with every designer shop you can think of. Maybe I’m being too critical and I realise now that I was mourning the leaving of Asia in all its true colours.

I ventured into China town and Little India and that was a welcome break from the shops.

I met up with Ann and Benedict friends I had met whilst in Namibia a couple of years back. That was a lovely afternoon – very civilised drinking coffee and seeing their fabulous apartment in the city. Later that afternoon they took me to their Yoga private club. Great stuff.

I spent a couple of days in Singapore – and spent the last night going to the Night Safari at the Zoo. That was fantastic , and absolutely not to be missed experience for anyone going to Singapore. I particularly liked the Mangrove jungle section with the fruit bats flying over head and hanging from the trees- so close you could touch them. I didnt touch em of course, but it was very disconcerting when they whizzed past your head.

No photies for this section chaps ..why ?l .. because I never took any and you can,t take decent photies of the zoo at night- nothing comes out properly.

I flew out of Singapore on the 14th August- next stop was OZZIE.



Tags:

Leave a Reply