BootsnAll Travel Network



PRISCILLA RELIVED – KINGS CANYON and Kata Tjuta AND THE ROCK !!!!

DSCF3417.jpgDSCF3408.jpgDSCF3376.jpgDSCF3367.jpgDSCF3338.jpgDSCF3241.jpgDSCF3305.jpgDSCF3320.jpgDSCF3313.jpgDSCF3338.jpg

Photies show Me at Uluru plus gang , M at Uluru, sunset at Ayers with Nick’s cowboy hat, all the gang around campfire at night swagging it, M at Kings Canyon, Lisaand I KC, and the sad picture of the little baby Joey we tried to rescue..Lisa trying to feed him. sadly little Joey died ( see last e-mail I sent as Round Robin)

Last part of the nine days was with our guide Phil taking us to Kings Canyon ,Uluru ( AYERS ROCK)and Kata Tjuta.

One of may favourite films is Priscilla Queen of the Desert – which I was fortunate to watch again recently in Perth with Steve..thanks Steve

My favourite moment in this hysterical film – is when the three queens trek up KINGS CANYON in full drag . We trekked up the same path..and I kept recalling the famous line “Thats all we need a cock.. in a frock… on a rock.. ”

This canyon and views – are spectacular– they do not disappoint and although it is bloody hot, the views are worth the trek up the aptly named HEART ATTACK hill. We also managed to catch sight of a huge lizard like creature – called a MONITOR- fast – huge in size and with black speckled skin.

After the canyon thre was an option of another walk around the strange huge rock formations ( many Heads ) of KATE TJUTA. I opted out of this one as I was reallly knackered and chose to spend a lovely two hours in the company of Lisa in the shade reading our books..joyful . Could still see the rocks from a far.

THE ROCK _ ULURU – aboriginal name for AYERS ROCK

This was another dream come true for me- to see Ayers Rock – Uluru at sunset. We found a quieter spot – trying to escape the “Tourist ” crowds. Tables had been set up for the tourists with champagne and canapes.

We as the roughies ….. had just a such lovely time drinking champers from a plastic beaker and eating fruit cake. To watch the sun go on the rock is wonderful It does indeed change colours – from dull red to burning red – to mauve – togrey …fabulous sight. Very emotional to watch and I though of you all…I really did ….

Lots of photies of Rock and monkey with friends .

Sleeping in a swag under the stars

That Night we camped in a camp with very few faciltiies – cooking on a open fire -a chicken stew ( gorgeoues) and camping under the huge nights sky in a swag. Great stuff.

Next day – it was watching the sunrise over Ayers Rock again and the a walk around its huge base. I along with the oterwise wanted to respect the aboriginals wishes and not climb the rock. For them it such a sacred place – with hidden secret places in the caves of the rock that neither men or women can view- individual sacred sites.

At these sites they also request no photographs to be taken. Their worst fear is if someone dies on the rock trying to climb it. There have been many deaths on the rock- people falling – feet melting in to the rock in the heat ( I kid you not ) or people have been blown the top off by strong winds . Needless to say this causes great distress to the aboriginals. Rather like crowds of people crawling over the sacred alter of St Pauls Cathedral this is the only comparison I can make.

No One in our group wanted to climb the rock – in fact I dont think anyone could have if they wanted to as the Trek up was closed due to strong winds. Thankfully >>>>>>imposed respect I’d say and quite right too.



Tags:

Leave a Reply