BootsnAll Travel Network



SonLa

Have got behind on the blogs but other than doing the rabies shots, catching up with friends and waiting for good weather all fairly quiet.  Once remarked to a friend whilst staying in CatBa that the world could have ended and we wouldn’ even know.  Still that way with the tv only concentrating on important things like football and totally avoids serious topics like news – at least in English but assume the worlds financial system still intact as haven’t seen anyone jumping off balconies, in fact no change at all.

Left CatBa and stayed in Hanoi.  Then made my way north to MaiChau.  On paper shouldn’t have been that complicated but this is Vietnam and so got the usual misleading info, lies, totally  ripped off  – again and again and by the end wondered why I ever leave CatBa ( where the rip offs are just as bad but at least I know them).  My bus from HaDong ( long story) to MauChai dumped me in Hoa Binh despite charging me the fare to Bejing.  Took another bus for MauChai and when the bus conductress picked up a machete, run out the bus and let fly with  someone on another bus, decided she wasn’t a person to argue with.  Until she told me how much she wanted for the fare and then for once I decided I was going to make a last stand and refused.  So on a mountain in the middle of nowhere insisted she could let me out and I would walk.  As it was she refused  to let me out so the next half hour spent in a battle of wills.  Finally a compromise was reached – probably only double the real price  – and we became best friends and she insisted we stop for photos on the view point overlooking MauChai….Vietnam!.

MauChai dominated by people of the Thai ethnic group and like their fellow Thais have that niceness that sometimes would be appreciated here.  Despite being a popular tourist destination the people easy going and friendly.  Some lovely scenery amongst the surrounding mountains with the paddyfields and water buffaloes.  Stayed in a native village where homestays in stilted open houses the norm instead of guest houses. As it was I stayed in someones house and personally would prefer a guesthouse as probably over the years done my share of sleeping on bamboo floors.  And here tourist development has taken them way beyond the ethnic experience.  But enjoyable enough, pleasant village with the locals weaving pretty clothes and things to sell and some nice walks. Only bad point was the ferocious mosquitoes who were not only in very large numbers but very hungry and made using a mosquito net essential.

Today came to SonLa, a nice journey thru the mountains and ethnic villages with colourful people.  Road better than I expected despite and except a few bumpy bits and tight bends a pleasant trip and only charged the Hanoi – SonLa fare which at the moment seems quite a bargain.

SonLa, according to LP was where U.S bombers dropped unused ordinance on their return from bombing raids so not a place to expect much in the way of sights.  But pleasant place, modern and  with ethnic people to provide colour and interest and a useful stop off point.

Tomorrow head to Diem Bien Phu, near the Laos border and a famous historical place as where the French suffered their final defeat leading to their withdrawal – only for the good olde U.S of A to then take their turn at saving the world from socialism, the nationalisation of the banking system and soup kitchens !.



Tags:

Comments are closed.