BootsnAll Travel Network



Kangding to Tagong Grasslands

Left Kangding with another 6am start. The bus looked like it had promise only to disappoint when the engine blew up so had to wait for another bus to come along. This one didn’t show much promise and sitting on the back seat it seemed to be lacking in suspension as well, probably less movement on a bouncy castle and the head took a few knocks – brought back memories of Cambodia !!. But we did our best to cling on and the scenery made it worthwhile, only for another long delay whilst a puncture had to be fixed. Up to this point the road had just been plain bad but further on they are in the process of constructing a proper road so all very dusty and slow ( with an airport under construction in Kangding and new roads being built, the region will be in a wonderful position to witness mass tourism Yunnan style, they must be so looking forward to it !!!!) . Finally the roadworks finished but by then we were behind dozens of trucks which obviously all had to be overtaken, no problem bar the fact it was all on blind bends, the driver certainly didn’t lack courage, he always went for it, creating some interesting situations when we did meet oncoming traffic. Finally after 7 hours on what should have been a 4 hour trip arrived in Tagong.

What an amazing place. It could have been taken straight out of one of the old spagetti westerns, Tibetan style. And when a guy on a horse strolled in with a slanted cowboy hat it was hard to take the place seriously. It’s basically one long wide street with colourful brick buildings and then at the end a square and then a monastery. But its the people which really bring the place to life, full of friendly Tibetans in cowboy hats and their distinctive colourful styles, then their Tibetan style motorbikes with all the extras. And the monks strolling around and those coming in on pilgrimage from outlying areas. The ” street” is surrounded by rolling hills with monasteries and gompas and covered in prayer flags etc. Then there are the yaks feeding in the hills, the Tibetans living in their black tents and snow capped mountains in the distance. Never known a place like it and very few tourists for some reason – obviously that will change as above.

After arriving found a fairly good hotel which at least had all the mod cons, just don’t think I will need the aircon. Then went out sightseeing only to be kidnapped by a Tibetan family arriving from somewhere over there – who insisted I join them. Lovely people but just not sure about the walking around the Gompa with a heavy stone a few times, a good way to appreciate the altitude at least.

Today been out hiking, some great views. The only downside to all this for me are the Tibetan dogs, whoever said dogs are mans best friend lied, these dogs aren’t !! and twice I had to make quick reverses when I had them running towards me in pairs ( a rabbies jab would probably be useful here but even then I still wouldn’t want to get too close given my love of dogs – not).
Also at 3800m the altitude has a fair kick, and seemed to cause problems for some people.



Tags: , , , ,

Comments are closed.