BootsnAll Travel Network



Hong Kong

Made it to a wet H.K after 12 hour overnight bus journey but luxury bus so no hardship. Arrived H.K and  for once British passport seemed to be an asset which makes a nice change and all very straight forward.

Coming across from China had expected to see a high rise jungle as seen in the pictures so was surprised how green and undeveloped things were. Until that is you reach the bay area and then it hits you and with a mass of steel and glass you know this is Hong Kong.

An American guy on the bus showed me a good place in Kowloon to stay so easy enough and room has internet so no complaints  – and a black and white kitten, hope they don’t charge me extra for that..  Then had a plan to take the Star Ferry over to Wan Chai at 12 lunchtime, have a couple of beers and go to the Vietnamese embassy there and come back and catch up on sleep.  Succeeded on the first two but went back to the bars and finally left 9am next morning, getting back for a curry in Kowloon. Old habits hard to break.  But it was fun and the Pilipino bands very good and with so many Filipina girls around good to catch up on news from the P.I and the provinces. And having lived their long enough great to bring back memories of all those years ago.

New Years eve main event the fireworks. So many people couldn’t move but personally found the fireworks a let down, bit of a budget job to me and would expected more from H.K. Then after weren’t allowed to go anywhere for another hour due to the crowds so had a needed quite one and went back to the room.

New Years day did the tourist thing and took the train up to the Peak. One and a half hour queue so wasn’t the only one, massively popular but the views at the top impressive and worth it. Then wandered back down and around.  Being a holiday the place becomes Manila and Jakarta in one, there are Filipinas and Indonesians everywhere, singing, dancing , eating and just stretched out over every available space – hard to believe there can be anyone left over there. I remember back in the handover days it was a worry in the P.I that all those jobs would be lost to the Chinese but from what I could see hasn’t happened. Also surprised how many expats still work here, have to admit far worse places than here to work.

Yesterday went back to Central\ Soho area, again being a Sunday place packed with the Filipinas etc enjoying their day off. Central the main business area with the most impressive buildings, the banks and financial institutions – figured I might as well see them as I will be spending the rest of my life paying for it courtesy of G.B and his “lets save the(ir) world.” Then ended up in the bars in WanChai so had a good evening out.

Had to admit enjoyed Hong Kong. As a travel or tourist destination little reason to come here and certainly not a cheap place but then even east coast China isn’t cheap anymore. But its still good to see, the skyline awesome especially at night and the way everythings works so well is impressive. Even I seem to get around without getting lost. And yes it is crowded but equally some great parks to relax, clean and plenty of good bars and eating places and friendly. And if I was rich I would say some good shopping as well but thats something I left for the Chinese who seem to be the ones will all the money these days. Another plus the weather, warm which after the cold of the last few weeks good to have.

Tomorrow, all being well pick up my visa and back to China.



Tags:

Comments are closed.