BootsnAll Travel Network



BacHa

The sun finally came out after a week of rain upon leaving Sapa.  Went to Lao Cai and then here, BacHa.  According to the guidebook the road was meant to be good but the heavy recent rains made it a mudbath in places and made for a slow , slippery journey thru the mountains but scenery nice.

BacHa more famous for its Sunday market than as a weekday destination but over time many travellers have recommended it over touristy Sapa.  Upon arrival I was wishing I was back in touristy Sapa.  BacHa a modern non descript town lacking the colour and charm of Sapa and without the delightful Black Hmong girls ( I use the word girl lucidly, any girl between the ages of 1 and a 100 ) “harressing” one with their charm and wonderful use of English and quick wit the place quite boring.  Having not eaten a barbeque for ages I decided to try one. It wasn’t until the girl had put the meat on to grill for a couple of minutes that I jokingly pointed to a dog and said is that the meat.  She nodded yes – so I had 2.  Actually tasted quite nice but a bit strong for my tastes but if the economy gets too bad you know where to look …

 Today when out into the hills and changed my mind about the place completely.  Here the ethnic group is Flower Hmong and as ethnic groups go must be one of the most colourful in their beautiful multi coloured clothing.  And unlike Sapa no tourists around and all very quiet- admittedly weekends very different when all the tourists come for the market.  However people surprisingly shy – or maybe fed up with tourists with cameras – and even the sight of a camera had them running, however nothing unususal with ethnic groups and no point in pushing the issue even if in their colour would make lovely snaps. But all told a very nice day in the sun, good scenery and lovely people and hopefully more of the same tomorrow.  



Tags:

Comments are closed.