BootsnAll Travel Network



soju, bibimbap and metal chopsticks!

I’m in Korea !!!

I came to Korea knowing it was a more developed country compared to China, but I didn’t expect the lodging cost to be as high. Not as pricey as the US but it comes close. I paid 18,000 won ($17) for a dorm bed in Seoul – most expensive dorm bed to date! A decent motel room in Seoul can cost you 60,000 won ($58). But other than lodging, everything else (food, transportation) is still relatively cheap.

Got into Seoul a few days ago, Korea’s capital and most populated city. My friend Sean, who I met in Xi’an back in Feb, lives in Korea and offered to pick me up at the airport. I was starving, so we headed out to grab dinner at Hongdae, a well-known college area with bars, restaurants, students and foreigners. Since I got into Seoul late and the city center being 1.5 hrs away from the Incheon airport, we found ourselves eating at 12. We had some Bulgogi (Korean beef bbq), washed it down with some beer and soju (a rice based liquor, almost vodka-like) and ended the night with an hour session of karaoke haha…singing our hearts out to “Living on a prayer” by Bon Jovi 🙂 It was great. After that, I was beat and was in bed by 3am.

First thing the next morning, I headed to a travel agency to drop off my passport for my Chinese visa and then took off for some site seeing. I had no LP book to refer to for this trip, but I did read a few articles before coming to Korea, so I came knowing that there were tons of things to do, for anyone really. There are museums, palaces, parks, mountains and even amusement parks – all in a fairly close radius. Koreans are very very very nice people, probably the nicest people I’ve met in my life. Two days in Seoul and I’ve had 6 random locals come up to me in the subway and on the streets offering their help, giving me tips as to where to go. Amazing. Man, I must really look like a lost tourist haha – Korea freakin’ rocks! 🙂

First stop was the Gyeongbokgung Palace, Korea’s largest palace from the Chosun Dynasty. There were heaps of middle school students here on a field trip, so the place was packed. I noticed all the students were snapping photos with their cell phones. You’d think that if you were on a field trip site seeing, you’d take an actual camera right? Nope not for Korean kids. They take their cell phones! Why not though? There are cell phones now that have bigger memory space and take better photos than some cameras today. Seriously.

Anyway, I saw the changing ceremony of the Royal Guards at the palace – which was cool. You’ll find the guards dressed up in colorful traditional costumes. A must see when visiting Gyeongbokgung. Behind the palace you’ll find a beautiful park with a small pavillion on the lake called Hyangwonjeong. It’s a gorgeous park, very peaceful, especially with the mountains in the backdrop. I found a spot on the grass, behind a lady that was painting the scenery and just about fell asleep. After Gyeongbokgung, I headed for Namdaemun market, a large outdoor retail market. You can find cheap clothes, toys, house stuff, food, etc…. I had some cheap bibimbap (gang of greens, rice, egg, meat in a stone pot) for 4,000 won ($4) – my favorite Korean dish so far. I ended the day at the National Museum of Korea.

Currently in Sokcho, a small town with a population of 84,000 (4 hrs by bus from Seoul). It’s breathtaking here! This city is by the beach and surrounded by mountains. I could live here! I’ll be here for few days for some hiking at Seoraksan National Park. Looking forward to it!

I’ll post pics as soon as I can.



Tags: ,

4 responses to “soju, bibimbap and metal chopsticks!”

  1. John Agahan says:

    YO SOPS THIS IS JOHN MAN I LOVE READING YOUR STORIES I FRIGGIN ADMIRE YOUR COURAGE. HOW THE HELL CAN YOU TRAVEL TO PLACES WHERE THEY SPEAK A TOTALLY DIFFERENT LANGUAGE. ANYWAYS I ENJOYED READING THE LAST POST. I WENT TO KOREA LAST YEAR IT WAS FRIGGIN BLAST WE WENT EVERYWHERE WE EVEN WENT TO Gyeongbokgung Palace THE PLACE WAS FRIGGIN COOL ANYWAYS POST THE PICS CAN’T WAIT TO SEE THEM

  2. Sophia says:

    John!! How are you? How are things in LA? I’m glad you’re enjoying my blogs – thanks for reading. It means a lot. Korea was awesome. I was only there for nine days but I enjoyed every minute of it. I can’t wait to go back!! It’s great hearing from you!! I’ll post pics soon…

  3. Flor says:

    Hey…guess who? I’ve finally got the chance to check out your site and see how you’re doing. Love the pictures and especially your stories. I can’t believe what you’re doing but you’ve always been the outgoing and adventurous one. Isn’t bibimbap so good…sucks that it cost about $11 here on Guam. Well it’s nice to know that you’re doing great…miss you Sops!

  4. Sophia says:

    Flor!!! How are you? Yes, bibimbap is good stuff. It’s so great hearing from you and thanks for reading! I’ll be traveling to Guam first week of Oct. I’ll make sure to give you a ring when I get there. We have loads to catch up on 🙂 Miss you muchos babe!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *