BootsnAll Travel Network



San Francisco

After a nice night of camping near Big Sur we got up early and set off for San Francisco. It didnt take too long and we were looking forward to getting there as we had heard good things about the place. When we got there we tried to find the place we were planning to stay and ended up driving over the golden gate bridge by accident and had to pay a $5 toll just to turn around and come straight back again.

Driving over the bridge was cool though. It is pretty massive and takes quite a while to drive over (longer than the drive over the Tamar bridge anyway). We ended up staying in a hostel in the golden gate recreation area. It was pretty nice as it was located in the middle of nowhere which made a nice change after spending the day in the city.

Here is a view of the bridge from near where we stayed.

A few minutes drive away from where we were staying was a little town called Sausalito. We drove there a few times and passed this restaurant a each time. I had to take a picture.


One our first trip into San Fran we ended up meeting this guy on the bus who took us to an anti war rally that was going on on the centre of San Fran. There was Israelis on one side of a barrier arguing with lots of people who were opposed to the war. We didnt stay too long. We spent a couple of days walking around the city seeing the various areas and we must have walked miles.

Here is a picture of Kelly at the start of Haight street which was is in the middle of an area that is famous for starting the 1960s hippie movement. Quite a few famous people used to live there too. (Janice Joplin, Grateful Dead)

While we were in San Fran we had to ride the tram. Here is a picture of Kelly next to a tram.

Any here is one of me standing on the outside of the tram holding on.

We happened to walk into the oldest bar in San Fran. It was pretty cool. It was just like the sort of bars we see in movies. Kelly ordered a Martini with olives. Here is a picture of her with it.

While we were in San Fran we visited Chinatown and had a chinese meal which was nice. Someone wold us that you cannot win an election in San Fran unless you get the gay vote and the chinese vote. On our last day we took a ferry trip from San Fran harbour to Sausalito. I took these photos as we left the port.

Thats it for San Fran.
Next stop…

Yosemite National Park.

James



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *