BootsnAll Travel Network



so much cleaning…

You would all be surprised how domesticated I’ve become! I’ve been spending my days doing never ender loads of washing and never ending dirty dishes. Think I forgot how messy kids are! Guess my most exciting stories now are that Ollie ate something other than yoghurt today and Ella and Mathilde actually went to bed without complaining (OK that hasn’t actually happened yet). Few dramas over the weekend as Milly had a car crash! She’s OK but a bit crazy so missed out on my days off but ended up going out on Wednesday night when France was playing Portugal. Spent the day on the beautiful beach in Cannes, the Mediterranean sea is just so warm and it’s a great beach. Then took the train to Nice, which is the bigger town of the area. Of course it was a warm evening, loads of people around, and everything stopped to watch the game, hundreds of people overflowing on to the streets, pretty crazy. Then they won! Even more crazy, people just went mental, and I was only in a smallish town, can’t imagine what it would be like in Paris. There were people running round with fireworks, screaming, yelling, dancing, waving flags (check out my photos to see). Then there were all these cars filled with people hanging out the windows and the scooters, about 4 people on them with flags driving all over the footpaths. I’m sure there must have been more than a few accidents that night! It got to about midnight and realized I didn’t actually have somewhere to stay as it was too late to get back to Grasse. Jumped on a train back to Cannes (only 30 mins) and thought Id figure something out. I think because I’ve had it so easy the last week I actually made things more difficult by not finding somewhere to stay earlier! However like always things work out and I met these 2 really cool Norwegian girls who had come from Italy trying to get somewhere else the next morning and also didn’t have a place to stay. So we decided just to hang around till morning. Went to a bar for a bit till that closed…..then got some food from somewhere till that placed closed….ended up down at the beach for a bit. Still a few very drunk people wandering around still pretty pumped from the soccer, so had a few interesting conversations to interesting people. Eventually it got to about 6am so hung out at the train station for a bit, the Norwegian girls left on their train and I went nice and early to the beach to lie in the sun and sleep for a bit. Then it was back home for more sleep! Cannes is about a 15min drive from Grasse but the train takes half an hour and then buses are so infrequent, the bus I wanted only comes every 3 hours so I ended up catching another one and going for a nice big walk in the super hot sun back home.

france beating Brasil

Will spend my next 2 nights off somewhere fun as well and might go to Italy as its only about 1 hour away, and might book some accommodation this time. Also brought my Strokes ticket, so that exciting and Kate Divett from home is coming over next week so am staying a few nights with her which will be great as does get a bit lonely up here, not exactly backpackers part area! Nice change though, spending lots of time lying in the sun, cooking and reading and another exciting night of TV (actually it is kind of exciting as they have cable TV with English programmes and news channels, the news!)
So until the next blog of exciting domestic adventures….au revoir!



Tags: , ,

0 responses to “so much cleaning…”

  1. Kate says:

    Hey Arnika,

    Sounds like you are keeping busy and having fun and making money, awesome combination!!! Are you practicing your French and is it getting better? Nothing much happening here as you can probably imagine. Ben got home last week so saw him on Saturday. But, no other exciting news.

    Have an awesome day
    Luv Kate

Leave a Reply