BootsnAll Travel Network



London

So I typed out a big blog but as would have it, computer stuffed up and deleted the whole thing…lame so for the second time around:

Right well I went shopping, and brought a jersey, but I needed one cause its cold here! And I left my favourite chalky digits jersey that I wore almost everyday in Paris, I was super angry but not much I can do, I seem to be losing everything lately! But yeah I brought a new one, on special so that’s ok. But I really think I should stay away from shops now, Carnaby st, Camden town market and topshop…its all too much, how can anyone live in London and not be cool?

Also got myself a cell phone, which is kind of important when I’m here as I kind of have people to meet and things like that, now I’m not just constantly traveling. Its kind of funny just having no idea about things like that, at home you know about networks and prices but here I have no clue, I think the phone people thought I was an idiot. But anyway got a really good phone for only 20 pounds, the cheapest one there but has pxt and can send videos so all pretty flash considering I usually get second hand phones.

Went and had a look at Buckingham palace and I’ve been checking out some of the museums and galleries here and actually enjoying them a bit more than I though. Went to see the national gallery which is in a really awesome building with famous painting by Van Gogh, Da Vinci and lots more and national portrait gallery which I really enjoyed, and spent ages there. Heaps of stuff that I learnt in 7th form history so it was cool to understand a bit about it and they had lots of information so that was good, also there was the British portrait competition so there was a really good exhibition from that and all the contempary stuff like things about the Beatles. So yes very good! Also headed to the Tate modern yesterday, didn’t have enough time to look around the whole place so will have to go back but they had some really cool like abstract installations or whatever you call it and its just cool seeing all really famous stuff by people like Jackson Pollock. And its great cause all these places are free! So its been a very cultural few days! Really want to make the most of being here, and hopefully get to see a few west end shows as well… although they are definitely not free!

I like in London how everything is just so well known, you know like your walking through Piccadilly circus and down Oxford st, there’s Hyde park 5mins from where I’m living. Its cool cause you hear so much about the places and now there’s everywhere, especially in London as you’ve heard of everything, that may be more to do with monopoly but still….

But I moved out of the hostel, which was good as our room was very cramped. Did have a nice last night though and went to the pub with a really cool Czech guy who’s working here. In the morning I packed everything up and moved to the pub where Ill now be living. Of course somehow I got on the wrong train and ended up on the opposite side of London. I swear of all the underground systems I’ve been on London is the most complicated. Paris was the easiest, and most other ones are pretty straightforward but London gets confusing! Like other places would have one line that goes to a platform and it is the same every time, just goes back and forth, you can’t go wrong. But London has maybe 2 or 3 different lines per platform and some of them don’t go all the way to the end of the line just stop ant random stations and some are completely different trains on different routes that don’t even seem to be on the tube map, which I ended up on yesterday. You cant just go to right platform and expect the train coming is your train you always have to make sure its going the right way etc etc. So this has all resulted in me ending up in the wrong place lots. And while I’m complaining about it, they never stop making announcements. “Mind the gap, move down the platform, move down the train, watch the doors, report suspicious luggage, this train connects to…, this is a central line train” and on and on and on, constantly. And my favourite ‘Due to the hot weather in London please make sure you drink lots of water and don’t board trains if you are feeling unwell” Hot weather? And it costs 3 pounds for a single journey….but in saying that underground systems are great and so much quicker than buses.

I think I’ve done really well with this job as well. Have a nice big bedroom sharing with this cool German chick. The staff are all great, the Thai restaurant attached to the bar cooks all our food, yum curries every day. In a superb location, the tube near us goes straight to Oxford st, Picadilly, Trafalgar, all the museums, Hyde Park is around the corner, Kensington palace is around another corner. So put all my stuff in drawers, and put my photos up which is nice. Starting work today and last night went out to see Loraine who I met in Bolivia for a BBQ then came back here for end of the week staff drinks. So yeah, great place, nice people and looking forward to it!



Tags:

Leave a Reply