BootsnAll Travel Network



Arequipa and the lost hostel

I arrived safely in Arequipa after a taxi ride, a plane ride, another taxi, a random’s car and a bus. Left Santiago at 4.50am and arrived in Arequipa at 10pm.  A long day. So I really just wanted to find a bed and sleep, I had the name of a youth hostel that sounded cheap but with my no spanish couldn’t quite get this across to the taxi driver and we couldn´t find the place! We ended up driving around for ages looking for this place which apparently didn’t exist. In the end he dropped me off at some over priced hotel where I was all alone. Sad times, but after a little walk around the next day, found the hostel and moved my stuff there. There were a lot less tourists in Arequipa, not at all like Santiago, no one else in the hostel I was staying at so it was a bit lonely!

I went into town and booked a 3 day trek to the Colca canyon and went and had lunch with the tour guide. Really cheap food, about $1 for huge lunch, it was great! Spent the afternoon looking around Santa Catillina, this big monastery. I could afford to get a tour guide but sort of attached myself to the back of a few so learnt a bit about it. Arequipa has about 1 million people and about 30 000 taxis, its pretty crazy but a cool city. Lots of nice buildings. Its the low season in Peru and there are sooooo many tourist places so it takes awhile to walk down the street. That evening I went for a drink with this guy from the tour place again. Here and in Chile everyone drinks huge 1L bottles of beer, so much beer. But it was nice to hang out with someone that was actually from Peru. Had a very early night (like every night so far, I am a bit boring) because was getting picked up for the canyon at 6am.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply