BootsnAll Travel Network



A little something about myself

My name is Barry Rogge. I grew up in South Louisiana (home of the best seafood in the world). I went to Louisiana State University and graduated in 2002 with a degree in chemical engineering. I am currently working and living in South Carolina as a chemical engineer. In addition to working, I am currently getting my graduate degree in business. Most of my travels have been confined to North America. I have visited 39 of the 50 states (okay I only drove through some of them), been to Mexico twice (Mexico City, Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta), Canada twice (Victoria and Windsor), and Europe twice (once for work and once for vacation). I currently can really only speak English and semi mutilate French. I will have to try to learn more languages as I go.
My mother and myself at some Mayan ruins outside of Tulum, Mexico
This was the best picture that I currently have of myself on this computer.

As an American most of my recent trips have been short (only two weeks of vacation) and filled with a sense of urgency that comes with short trips to do as much as possible. I first looked at long term travel in college, but it never seemed to work out. My next opportunity came at graduation, but I already had a full time job offer with a good salary that I couldn’t turn down (and I didn’t have any money anyway). So here I am presently with my next window for travel approaching after I graduate in December. I am currently trying to decide if I want to go for it.

I have several decisions and things that I have to decide and would like to accomplish before I go.
1. Is this something I really want to do?
2. Should I quit my job and try to find another one when I get back or ask for a leave of absence?
3. Convince my mother and my sister that I am not going to die as soon as I leave the country.
4. Figure out exactly what I want to see.

I am still determining countries and dates, but right now my current plan looks something like this:

Travel in United States by train and visit friends on my way to the west coast: Feb 1-Feb 15
Easter Island: Feb 15 – Feb 19 (this island has always interested me)
Cook Islands: Feb 19 – Feb 28
Fiji: Mar 1 – Mar 14
New Zealand: Mar 14 – May 1
Australia: May 1 – June 30 (I might extend time in New Zealand and shorten Australia)
China: July
India: August
Nepal: Oct 1 – Nov 15 (overland from India, trek Annapurna Circuit)
South East Asia: 15 Nov – Feb 15 (starting in Singapore and traveling by land)
Europe: Feb 15 – March 15 (or until money runs out)
Home

I haven’t decided what to do in September. I also haven’t quite figured the summer out yet. I have friends in India and China who may host me for a little while, and I need to determine their schedule. I also don’t want to get to Nepal before October as I don’t want to trek in the monsoon season when all of the mountain views are obscured by clouds.

I am starting this blog early, but I figure it’s a good place to put down my thoughts. If I do decide to go, it will be nice to have memories of what I went through to get to that point. I will probably only post once every 1-2 months until the actual trip date gets closer. Please feel free to add comments on the blog, but remember my mother will be reading this. You can also contact me at brogge1@LSU.edu. I welcome any tips or if you are in any of those areas when I am, let me know. Also my screen name in the forum is cjun (get it – South Louisiana “Cajun”).



Tags: ,

13 Responses to “A little something about myself”

  1. Kellie Says:

    What a great entry! Your sister and mother just love you, so that’s why we worry. :o) I look forward to reading more as you consider whether or not to take this trip.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. G Says:

    Bootsnall is a great resource Barry … I’ll let you know my schedule as soon as I know it from Seminary …

    Good luck with the planning! At some point you’ll just have to take a leap and do it — and I’m sure you know this, but read up and get in touch with others who’ve done this before.

    [And, ahem, “tell” is a transitive verb that requires an object. Should be “and live to tell about it” :-D]

  4. Posted from India India
  5. BayouGenius Says:

    Your mother and sister aren’t the only ones that are worried!! You have my mother worrying!!! Im behind you, if thats what you wanto to do. I’m sure you will have no problem finding a job when you get back. Good Luck!!!!

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. Jomi Says:

    I think it is a wonderful idea! You should go for it, not everyone has an oppurtunity like that. We will all be worried about you, of course. Good Luck!!

  8. Posted from United States United States
  9. Llew Says:

    Hi Barry,
    Looks like you’re off to a good start on the ‘blog. Reading about others’ travel planning always gets me excited, even if I do happen to be making plans of my own at the same time. I’m so jealous at the prospect of you getting to Easter Island!

    Take Care, but don’t let yourself get TOO wrapped up in worries 🙂

  10. Posted from United States United States
  11. Mom Says:

    Hi Barry!
    I have mixed feelings about your trip, but mostly I’m afraid for you.
    Oh yes, one more thing, I don’t like the picture you chose with me in it. It flatters you, but not me!
    Let me know when you change your mind about this world travel thing!
    Love you,
    MOM

  12. Posted from United States United States
  13. BayouGenius Says:

    Barry,

    I’ve been thinking about this, and I agree w/ your mother. Im afraid for you also. It wouldnt be so bad if you were going w/ a group or something, but by yourself? I’m worried. In fact it gave me a migrain the other day…LOL. Well, I have to go get back to worrying..ooops I mean work. Bye.

    P.S. Barry’s Mom that is a great picture of you and him!

  14. Posted from United States United States
  15. Christine Says:

    Wow, looks like you’ve got it all planned out so well. That’s one hell of an itinerary! You are going to 2 places in my top 10 list – Easter Island and Nepal. How exciting! I am so glad you are going for it. There’s no better time than now while you’re single, Barry. 🙂 Have a great time! I’ll be checking in here often for updates.

  16. Posted from Philippines Philippines
  17. Gram Says:

    Barry, I have tried several times to post a message to you and apparently am doing something wrong. Trying again.
    Grams

  18. Posted from United States United States
  19. Gram Says:

    Okay. Now I think I have got it. I am really getting excited and interested now that your trip is getting closer. Will you be posting messages on this site from time to time that all of us can read? That will be so neat. Joansie contacted me to check the address she had for you so you will probably be hearing from her soon. Hope everything is okay back in B.R. I never did catch up with you on your birthday but I was thinking about you and hope you had a good one. I will try to keep in touch now that I think I haved it figured out. This is my first experience with a blog.Much love,
    Gram

  20. Posted from United States United States
  21. Chris Says:

    Barry,
    Hey! how are you doing? i’ve read about some of your travels and they all seem really incredible! i’m sure you are having a blast. I’m writing because im in a somewhat similar situation as you. I’m definitely going on a trip to fiji, oz, thailand, cambodia this upcoming january and am tossing around some same questions/have some same worries (job, family worried, etc). The one that you may really be able to help me with is this; in austrailia i’m looking at taking a stop/go tour offered through STA, the company specifically is Adventure tours australia. The tour is a loop from melbourne, up the coast, to darwin, back down to melbourne, ofcourse a bunch of stops in between. im not sure if this is the way to go, or renting cars like i’ve read you had done or just straight up bus. i was wondering if you have the time if you could help give some advise! if you have the time please get in touch, i’d really appreciate it. i hope for nothing but the best for you on the rest of your travels!!! ENJOY

  22. Posted from United States United States
  23. Jessica W. Says:

    Thank you for your help!

  24. Leif Henegan Says:

    nice info. I have new knowlegde from you. Someday i ll revisit this blog again. Many thanks. Greetz from indonesia!

Leave a Reply