BootsnAll Travel Network



1 day to go

Well I am pretty much ready to go. My bag is packed. My head is shaved. Now I am just counting down the hours. I will leave home tomorrow morning around 10:00 to catch a 14:00 flight out of New Orleans to Miami. My friend and I will drive to the airport together. My trip to Easter Island will be a long one so I am glad to have company. I fly from New Orleans to Miami, Miami to Santiago, Santiago to Easter Island. I will arrive on Easter Island at 12:50 pm nearly 24 hours after I leave New Orleans. This is still not my longest series of flights as I have a 12.5 hour nonstop flight from Santiago to Los Angeles. One interesting fact about Easter Island is that Chile, of which Easter Island is a part, has made Easter Island use the same time zone as the mainland even though it is very far away. As a result, the sun rises at about 9:00 and set at about 21:00. Time on Easter Island is currently equal to that of the East Coast of the United States.

Today was spent running several errands. I got a haircut (my hair is cut really short, slightly longer than military boot camp cut). I mailed my sleeping bag and air mattress to my cousin in San Fransisco. My tent is on its way to Australia. I will pick these items up as I arrive.

For the more touch feely of you out there, here is a run down on my feelings. My main emotion right now is one of nervousness. The closest I can come to describing it is the feeling one gets when one is about to do something exciting yet it is a big fear for them. An example is skydiving for someone who doesn’t like heights. I am a little puzzled by this feeling as I am not scared per se (getting sick being my main concern). I think it’s more likely that it’s just me trying to cope with the big life change I am making. I have never not had a job. I have been continuously employed since I was fifteen. It will probably take me a while to get adapted to this. I have always been very careful about spending money and it is hard for me to spend money when I don’t have a job. I obviously have to get over this as this trip will cost money and I will be miserable if I try to nickel and dime the whole trip.



Tags: ,

No Responses to “1 day to go”

  1. Kellie Says:

    Good luck!!! I’ll be saying prayers that your trip goes well and that you have a great (and safe!) time. We’ll be following your journal closely. Love you!

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. BERYL Says:

    WELL BARRY IT WAS HARD TO SAY FAREWELL THIS MORNING. KEEP IN TOUCH AND LET US KNOW ABOUT EACH ADVENTURE YOU GO ON. JUST REMEMBER WE ARE PRAYING FOR YOU. I HOPE YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL TRIP. LOVE BERYL

  4. Uncle Roy Says:

    Barry, Aunt Brenda and I really enjoyed our visit with you. Be safe and enjoy your trip. We will monitor you progress on a regular basis.

  5. Posted from United States United States
  6. Gashwin Says:

    YOU GO MAN! Prayers and all that …

    🙂

  7. Posted from India India

Leave a Reply