BootsnAll Travel Network



Santiago

The bus journey from Valparaiso to Santiago only took an hour which was cool and we spent an hour trying to call hostels with no success (I think there was supposed to be some sort of code before the number or something). Eventually this American guy recommended a place called “Hostel De Sammy” that was not in the guide book. I was happy that it was not in the book because I had become used to everything in the book concerning hostels being wrong.

The hostel turned out to be really good. It had free internet with free printing facilities as well as a chipped x box and playstation 2 that could be used anytime as well as table tennis and pool and a choice of hundreds of movies that could be watched in surround sound. Everything was free apart from the room but maybe I was setting my “free goalposts” too far apart with that one !!

Anyway, we met quite a few cool people while we were there and spent most of our time chilling out and drinking outside with everyone. There was even a guy who played guitar so we had a bit of a singalong. One our last night we went to a reggae bar which was a bit of a mistake because we had to be up at the crack of dawn the next morning to get a bus. We eventually got to bed at about 4am and felt a bit under the weather on the journey back into Argentina on the bus.

Santiago is a beautifully located city and, “The majestic Andean Mountain Range can be seen from almost anywhere in the city”. I had to take my guidebooks word for the last sentance because unfortunately for us Santiago has a bit of a problem with smog in winter so we were not able to see any sign of the andes. I have managed to steal a photo from another web site that shows you what I could have seen.

But as i walked through the foggy streets alone it turned out to be the luckiest day ive ever known.

I have not painted a very good picture of Santiago and it is probably much better in the summer but to be honest I was glad to leave the place.

James



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *