BootsnAll Travel Network



It’s all gravy baby

At the end of my first week in New Zealand, I’ve moved from lost to hopeful, pedestrian to driver, pale to sunburned, in awe to in awe.  I spent a couple days with my recruiting company; once dipped into therapy talk and job potentials I am reminded that I really did come here with a purpose.  Now that it’s reaffirmed, I can go back to the freedom of journeying the country with the hope of a home and a paycheck at the end of it.

The last couple days I spent touring the Coromandel Peninsula on the North Island–a thumb of land full of beaches, bluffs, and bays to explore.  Took a mountain bike ride around the tip which was both brilliant and murderous. Would have been even more of both if my feet weren’t on the ground pushing so much of the time. I chased cows and sheep alike off the trail and thought of what they say: “New Zealand is a country of 4 million people and 40 million sheep.” Must mean there are 50 million cows then. Camped next to beaches two nights in a row. Dipped in the chilly teal waves surrounded by sands and cliffs. The air and my body feel good in this country.

Tomorrow, exploring the “thermal world” of Rotorua.  May also sneak in something with speed—ZORBING downhill or a luge.  So many adrenaline sports in this place I may have to nibble a little.  ; )

Kiwi-isms for the day:

“Good on ya mate” (something between “get along” and “good luck” I think)
“It’s all gravy baby”
“Sweet as!”
and a t-shirt that reads: “Hold my beer while I snog your mate.”



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.