BootsnAll Travel Network



Circus Training

Ideas for second and third careers continue to present themselves…maybe we should trade pediatric therapy for elephant aerobics? Or combine the two for “therapeutic elephant riding” for a novel spin away from horses? We signed up for “Thom’s Elephant Trekking,” half expecting to get a few weak giggles out of a touristy adventure. For Kristin though it was a chance to spend hours with her “power animal,” for me, maybe a chance to conquer some fears. [Ever since the elephants charged our Landcruiser in Africa, I’ve had a fear of being plucked up by a dextrous trunk and carried into the Serengeti, never to be seen again.] In the end, it was one of our most fun excursions to date. “Ot”–our hefty, good-humored pachyderm–treated us to a stroll through the jungle and hill trails of Pai. Slowly. Slowly. Unlike our stroll down the streets of Jaipur, India clad in scarves and perched in a little carriage box, this time we we rode bareback with elephant bristles tickling our legs and elephant gait teasing our balance. The destination: the Khorng River, Ot’s favorite cooling and “dunk the tourists” spot. With a “bohng!” from our guide, Ot sprayed us silly. With a “Huhn Huhn!” Ot bucked and rolled until we tumbled off. You wouldn’t really expect that a huge, slow animal could mimic a mechanical bull, but there we were, clutching, tensing, laughing, gasping, and— nearly every time—swimming. : )

Think that deserves a Thai massage. OK, I confess, nearly anything we do any day “deserves” a Thai massage. I’m not really sure how I’ve lived so much of my life without them. As a lover of deep, firm massages, it’s a $4 hour of heaven. Kind of the antonym of typical massages at home, Thai massages involve a little Thai lady (usually no taller than 5’2″) digging in her elbows, thumbs, feet and knees, laughing when you call out “pain, pain!” It also involves being twisted, folded and eventually inverted backwards over her knees.

Tomorrow–a lazy day to let time roll down our backs. Reading, writing, sketching, beading, touring the countryside–opportunities to make 12-13 hour workdays feel like an exaggerated tale for future children. Tomorrow night–bus and boat to a new country: Laos!!!



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.