BootsnAll Travel Network



Lucky Survivors

….after all, it is possibly the most dangerous thing we’ve done so far. For hours today we were surrounded by novices flinging very sharp weapons. At one point, we were enveloped by huge flames. My tongue and throat were even at risk for serious burns. If it didn’t taste so good, it might have been scary. ; )

“The Master” Thai Cooking School is where Kristin and I spent most of the day…and don’t think that all the way in Thailand I missed your surprised snickers. So, to preface….NO, there were no prerequisite cooking requirements and NO, I didn’t cut myself even once (a friend gave me a knife block with plastic knives for Christmas last year). Instead, I now feel prepared to select the perfect egg, chop vegetables while looking the other way, use a bamboo spoon artfully, smack the flavor out of garlic and lemongrass, and make at least 2 dishes that will make your nose and eyes moist. The skills that may require a little more practice: flipping vegetables in a wok without tossing them on the floor and cracking an egg in one hand. My offer: any visitors to New Zealand will get a 4 course Thai dinner. (I have many amazing dinners to repay, don’t I?)

So here we are, Chiang Mai. A fairly bustling town in northern Thailand, blessed with cooler air and cheaper tuk tuks. We arrived yesterday morning after a 14 hour train ride from Bangkok. Although we pictured something a bit like China–our own train car, shared with maybe a couple others–instead we were in a line of seats and bunks, occupied mostly by Thais in yellow tees (“Long Live the King”…he was born on Monday, the day of yellow). About 1/2 hour after the train lurched forward, a very efficient man came and, in a flurry of white cotton, made up our beds and pulled the curtains, tucking us in Thai style. We pretty much slept until we reached the top of the country, rocked back and forth like a hammock in a monsoon. Tomorrow we head to a little town called Pai, nestled a bit more in the mountains where elephants and treks await. : D



Tags: , ,

0 responses to “Lucky Survivors”

  1. Charlotte says:

    MMM, Thai Food….

    As long as I’m not subjected to flying knives and burning nose hair, then I think it would be worth the flight. But, don’t forget that you have to feed my whole family.

    Your pictures are amazing and it looks like you’re having so much fun. I wish I could be there too! Keep putting up the photos, I just love ’em.

  2. Cindy says:

    If you were actually brave enough to make the flight with your fam, I certainly would be brave enough to risk injury by knife to feed them. There MUST be organics in New Zealand after all. ; )

    And, start planning our China trip lady! (Before age does that disintegration thing and I have no chance of finishing the race…)

  3. Ernie Geefay says:

    HinrI thought you might be interested in this Thai cooking website with online “how to” videos you can watch for free. nrhttp://www.thaifoodtonight.com/thaifoodtonight/recipes.htm

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.