BootsnAll Travel Network



Happy Thanksgiving!

Sitting in Luang Prabang, Laos, my brain strains to picture typical “holidays”—people putting up lights, Christmas trees in parking lots, aroma of turkey and pies, shopping stressors begun. But, despite some serious geographical and mental distance from pilgrims and indians, I have definitely had thankful thoughts pedaling around my head since last night.
—I’m thankful for this big amazing world that begs to be explored
—I’m thankful that the people that inhabit it are most consistently friendly, sharing smiles and similar wishes
—I’m thankful for big-muscled guardian angels that have kept Kristin and I safe through our many adventures
—I’m forever thankful for the family, friends, and experiences who have added essential ingredients into who, how, and why I am

So, far from twinkling lights, green bean casserole, and dusts of snow, here’s how Kristin and I spent our Thanksgiving:

Woke up in our $8 guesthouse room, a little groggy after differing reasons for disturbed sleep: strange dreams, hearing tiny rodent footsteps, scent of sewer.

Cold, but humorous shower, trying to catch the spray that hit the far wall and slogging through the lake forming at my feet with the trash basket floating by.

The indulgent familiarity of a completely non-Asian breakfast: mocha with chocolate swirls on top, bagel with cream cheese, waffles with whipped cream and fruit.

Beginning the imposing task of visting at least some of the thousand (or seemingly) wats in Luang Prabang. My monk-stalking is resumed as I am still inexplicably awed by their stunning orange robes as they wander around town, through temples, and do mundane things like type in internet cafes.

Rented bicycles and, for the first time, actively entered local traffic. Pedaled our single-geared, low-seated cruisers alongside motorbike drivers holding umbrellas and colorful tuk-tuks advertising rides to “Waterfalls, Caves, or Somewhere.” Saw the beautiful hills and distant mountains in this new country and shared greetings with humored locals as we sweated our way through hilly, bumpy back roads.

Scampered up the local hill for sunset, getting more of the “set” than the “sun” part of the experience. Maybe should have taken our guidebooks’ advice to do this upon arrival as, once again, we spent an hour+ searching for our guesthouse in the dark last night, worried we’d miss our midnight “curfew.”

Had a Thanksgiving “feast” that included Lao noodle stirfry, spring rolls, pumpkin pudding aka “soup,” and a rice wine mango daiquiri (bleh).

Love and hugs to all–



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.