BootsnAll Travel Network



The days of a “volunteer”

The rigidity of the Unite for Sight entrance process—applications, references, training tests—ill-prepared me for the reality of the experience so far. Instead of the intensity I expected, my last few days have included chocotinis, sight-seeing, beach volleyball, and many hours spent in “large-group dining.” There have, however, been some good vision-related experiences:
—I watched some amazing eye surgeries: cataracts, laser, and other volunteers pulvarizing a goat’s eye (when’s my turn?!?)
—Today we went to a great little beach village for vision screenings, distribution of glasses, and determination for surgeries. My job—copying names and ages—was minimal. Left a lot of time for chatting with the local kids, playing thumb war, taking pictures, and learning how to count in Tamil—“Wundri, Erundi, Mundri….” (useful when that little kid’s pinned my thumb, AGAIN).

I’m enjoying the vibrancy and contradictions of India, many familiar though oddly forgotten.
—Women dress with such amazing beauty—flowing scarves, silky dresses, fresh flowers, gold jewelry—while walking through streets heaped with garbage (a permanent accent to every roadway) or driving motos through similar heaps of smog and grit.
—Traffic moves with an urgent, perilous pace and anarchy that make the rest of SE Asia roadways seem like country lanes. Picture a room full of cockroaches when you turn on a light and take a step in. Now picture sitting in an open tin box on the back of a moto that passes within centimeters of traffic on all sides. Don’t need ziplines and rockclimbing for surges of adrenaline here! Don’t worry mom, I wouldn’t DREAM of renting a moto here!!!
—There is never a moment that is scentless. Sometimes it’s pleasant–cardamom, incense, jasmine, fruit. More frequently, it’s putrid—urine, BO, exhaust, garbage, shit. Luckily, the smells move at the same pace as traffic—as soon as you start to gag, more pleasant air invades your nose and saves you just in time.

Tomorrow—HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!! We just bought tickets for a party at a swanky downtown hotel. The card reads: “On popular demand, DJ Kunal with Hindi remixes and Bollywood hits….delectable spread & unlimited pouring brands.” Sounds….like a unusual new year’s to kick off an unusual year!!!



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.