BootsnAll Travel Network



thats not yoghurt

So like I mentioned before Dracula is based on some guy called Vlad who would impale people, still he’s the closest thing to the Dracula we know so of course towns connected to him capitalize on the Dracula thing, a lot.

So being the tourists that we are, we headed of to Sighisoara to Vlad’s birth place to check it out. Again it was me and Pete joined by Martin (Dutch guy #3) but not #1 and 2 as they were still in bed. After spending an hour or so arguing with them about if they actually wanted to come or not, we finally got to the train station and caught the 2 hour train and I managed to book my next train ticket for the following day to Chisinau.

So Sighisoara…a nice town, actually a really beautiful little spot with an old town on a hill with lots of nice churches and old buildings.

From random blog photos

The centre was a little bit touristy but not so bad. It was all original building from back in the day and we checked out the tiny torture museum and read about how they would torture and hang people, then we past the main square where they would burn witches….pleasant. Its seems all so crazy that that sort of stuff actually happened. the clock tower was really beautiful and the whole place seemed authentically old (because it is I guess!).

From random blog photos

For lunch we headed away from the old town to track down a little shop selling food, we got some bread,cheese and yoghurt. My yoghurt was apricot, the boys got plain. However when they opened it, it looked remarkably unlike yoghurt and much more like sour cream….because it was….oh the joys of not speaking the language. My yoghurt was good, Pete was sad. The best thing is how the lady just let us buy 2 tubs of sour cream when clearly we were trying to get yoghurt. Oh well.

We also climbed up to a church and saw an old cemetery and some views across the valley then we tracked down Vlad’s statue and brought vampire teeth to get our photo with it. We thought we were hilarious with our plastic vampire teeth made for children, not sure other people walking past thought it was quite so funny.

From random blog photos

We caught a late train home as it was much cheaper and hung out in the park for a bit playing on Disney ‘princess’ cards we picked up in the market. The train back to Brasov was empty and half way started cranking up music realy loud…it was a bit strange in this old train with no one around with really loud music, some sort of communist style and other stuff like ‘Cotton Eye Joe”…it was bizarre.

Back home we cooked up..PASTA! yep so creative and headed to bed.

The next day was my last before heading to Chisninau at 4pm, me and Pete were going to go check out Bran castle, the real Dracula castle but left it a bit late so ended up chopping it in favour of walking through the bear infested woods up to the Brasov sign in the hills.

From random blog photos

We had a late lunch then it was time to leave. I had to take a train back to Bucharest then change onto my overnight soviet era train to Chisinau, needless to say I didnt see any other tourists. the train was great, it was 4 berth cabis with sheets with roses that said ‘I love you’ and carpited floors and frilley curtins, excellent.

From random blog photos

So began my long, and hot journey into Moldova, probably the most random country I have visited yet



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply