BootsnAll Travel Network



salt anyone?

So I find myself yet again surrounded by an inordinate amount of salt. The first time being the salt flats in Bolivia now this time 100’s of meters underground in salt mines just outside of Krakow. Myself, Laura (american chick), Matt (Lauras friend, aussie living in UK) and sweet chillie philly (American guy from Philidelphia, hence the name. Ended up spending the next week or so with him and a few others) caught the bus out to who-knows-where to check out these mines. Luckily we arrived just in time to jump in with the english tour and started a very long descent into the mines which are only used now for tourists. These mines were a lot different from Bolivian silver mines as I could actually stand, breath and see (all very good things). So we wandered aroud these very old mine shafts where they used to mine salt and it seems they must have had a bit of time on their hands as the workers carved lots of stuff out of salt. It doesnt look like white powdery salt, more like a greeny rock. So there are statues and churches carved out of this salt stuff. The most impressive being a massive chapel made entirely out of sat, including chandeliers, tiles floors, a copy of ‘the last supper’ and to top it all off a life sized statue of the pope! They even hold weddings in there! Its just so impressive cause you literally are right underground and theres all this stuff, and massive halls and gift shops, toilets even a restaurant, bar and function room. Its a bit surreal but very very cool, despite a bit chessy. So we spent a bit of time under ground checking all this out, licking the walls (yep they do taste salty) and had some food before catching the scaryist lift in the world back up to the surface.

Back in town we met up with Cameron and Boris and went to the greatest Polish restaurant ever. Its all just so cheap! So had a massive amount of food, all very heavy Polish food, fish, potatoes and my favourite perogies which are like little dumpling things filled with good stuff, we had fruit ones, cheese ones…so many perogies…I think I just like the word!

Sweet Chillie Philly headed off to Prague on the overnight train with some other chicks we’d meet and the rest of us went to a few bars before heading home. Last day was spent at Aushwitz as explained, dinner again at the Polish place then myself, Cameron and Boris took the long overnight train to Prague. After all the dodgy stories I’d heard of this train ride it was nice to have some people to travel with! Cameron even had a guitar so we spent a lot of the evening singing Radiohead very loudly and trying to get a bit of sleep. We arrived in Prague 7am with all of our belongings which is all ways good! another day another country, another language, another crazy currency….



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply