BootsnAll Travel Network



Pokhara

My few days in Pokhara have been lovely, staying with Hom, his wife and their gorgeous 3 year old daughter. Being looked after very well with my own room (with on suit), great food and rides around town on their motorbike! Basically they do a lot of stuff similar to the youth work we do at home so has been good to meet them and hang out. Got to go to one of their English classes they run…interesting as they decided I should be the one to run the first part of it, decided without telling me. “Ummmm…so I’m Arnika and I’m from New Zealand….” Thankfully the real teacher turned up and saved me from a potentially very bad situation.
Had dinner one night with their brother and his family where I spent the evening entertaining the kids with my amazing origami skills…well I can make one thing but they were pretty impressed!
Then the kids all danced and sang for me..for a long long time. But was pretty funny and it was just such a typical buck of kids. The older 6 year old girl who wanted to be the star and made a point of knowing all the words and action, the little 3 year old boy who had no idea but was just trying to copy a few moments behind, the other 2 just kind of half going along and then the 7 year old boy who clearly hated it and refused to join in. Very entertaining, well for the first 10 minutes anyway.

Also spent a couple of evenings watching some hilarious Nepali television. I mean do you really think its even worth attempting out of space programmes with space ship battles when you don’t quite have the technology to make it look even half realistic?….think hallowean style bad guys and plastic models of spaceships with a riducolously predictable story line, I’m sure you can imagine. But must be popular as its on constantly. As well as the always entertaining Indian music channel…..what I watched tonight was probab;y the best show ever. like Amereican Idol but with kids dancing their hearts out to Bollywood songs, everyone asked if people in NZ danced liked that…ummmm no, they’d probably be locked away if they danced with that much enthusiasm with those dance moves.

Also checked out some caves with bats on the roof and went up a bill hill that overlooked all the amazing mountains that surround the valley and watched all the paragliders floating around the air. If I had spare cash I would definitely do it but not this time.

And tonight I even ran games at the youth group, (for those SYC related, evolution paper scissors rock wasn’t so good as they didnt know paper scissors rock to begin with but BANG went down well!)
So I’m all ready for my 10 day trek tomorrow to Annapurna base camp, should be interesting, I’ve got the full gear the makes me look like a space man. I’ll be out of touch for the next wee while so don’t expect any emails/blogs/any sort of contact, but hopefully I’ll be alright wandering around the Himalayas.
Hopefully the weather stays nice although it will be cold!
Bye for now…



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply