BootsnAll Travel Network



I am living in a material world: Hong Kong

Compared to India, HK was so clean, and shiny, and organised. The airport was big, travelators along the floor, toilets with toilet paper…I got confused and overwhelmed and filled in a departure card instead of an arrival card. So back to the end of the line.
I did eventually make it out, the airport was pretty massive and I grabbed some yummy cheap sandwhiches before getting on the bus into town (so easy and organised). 40 minutes later we were in downtown Kowloon surrounded by more shops than I’d ever seen, billboards sand neon signs almost blocked the sky and people everywhere. I found my hostel inside this massive building on the man road which probably had more people inside than the whole of Christchurch. The hostel was more of a corridor with beds in it, just seemed like a whole lot of different rooms called different hotels and hostels. All a bit strange, but a whole lot of cool people in their. I went down to the water with a German guy to check out the skyline and watch a lightshow they have there every night. One thing that I did notice was the incredible amount of christmas decorations, in India I’d almost forgoten it was christmas but here they’d gone all out and down on the water the massive syscrapers across from us had the entire sided of them covered in neon santas. All pretty crazy, but the view was pretty incredible, I’d never seen so many massive building and the lightshow was interesting, a speaker behind us blasted out some cheesy music and all the buildings flashed along in time with massive lazers. We went had some chinese for dinner then went back to bed as I was shattered by then because of my early start that morning. Wasn’t flying out until late that night so I spent the day checking out a bit of the city. Went and dropped a big bag of stuff I don’t need for the last bit of the trip at the hotel me and tash are staying at on the way home. Tash organised it and its a super flash, 5 star hotel. Wll be cool to stay there on the way home and great to get rid of things I don’t need as it made my bag about half empty. I caught the ferry over to the island where it seems there are more banks than people. Everything is all super flash, there a shopping malls everywhere and people shopping everywhere, kind of crazy.

Stocked up on a few supplys then it was time to head to the airport. The bus was bit late so was already running late, after waiting for ages to check in I found out that to get into the Philippines I needed proof of onwards travel, so had to wait for ages to find details of my onwards flight which luckily I had booked. Then immigration took forever finally made it though and i rushed off to try find Tash who was flying from Christchurch to meet me in the Philippines, she had a little bit of time in Hong Kong where we were planning to meet up beofre our seperate flights to Manila, just got there before she was going to leave. So great to see her if only briefly. Flight to Manila was only 2 hours apart from getting weird headaches from cabin pressure it was pretty average. Touched down in Manila around midnight after getting baggage finding Tash again we went out to met Jess and Andy, friends from home who are teachers at an international school here.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply