BootsnAll Travel Network



Cusco: the navel of the earth

Well as I mentioned in my last post my arrival into Cusco wasn’t the best, spent about 1/2 an hour almost passed out in the bus station, think it was the altitude combined with lack of sleep. Thankfully a group of English backpackers made sure I was OK and together we got a taxi into the main square to head up to this hostel. The hostel happened to about a 10 min walk up these stairs and a 7am after that bus journey I could hardly make it up them! Actually its still hard to walk there, I guess its good training for the Inca trail.

We spent the first day asleep but I did go for a bit of a walk around in the afternoon. Cusco is a very pretty city with cobblestone streets and from our hostel we have a great view over the plaza. It is however super touristy which can get a bit intense but not too bad. Basically everyone is trying to get you to come to their bar/restaurant/club/shop and it took abut 1/2 an hour of bargining with restaurants to find the best place for dinner.We got it down to 3 free drinks, free garlic bread and nachos and dinner for 8 soles (about $3 usd). Went out out to a few bars that night, again super touristy but fun. The next day I went around a few museums and went for a bit more of a walk around. Found some great super cheap and super good places to eat. I was also very keen to do a couple of days rafting so I found one company who have a lodge by the river and do a 2 day trip. Because of a strike happening the next day they were leaving tonight, so after dinner I got afew things togther and headed off for 2 days on the river….



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply