BootsnAll Travel Network



cooking school

My full day cooking class was through the Pad Thai cooking school, we selected 6 dishes on the way that we were going to cook during the day. There were about 16 of us, mostly from my guest house, and while we learned lots about cooking, mostly we were eating.

The day started off with a visit to the food market where our instructor Pat told us a bit about Thai vege’s and spices before we were left to wander around and check out the crazy stuff on offer. Then it was off to the cooking school, a nice big space with lots of woks and a big table to eat at.

(Dragon Fruit at the market)

Our second instructor Meow (like the cat), got us underway with Thai name tags then it was on to the cooking. It was really pretty relaxed as they did most of the preparation work for us, cutting and cleaning. For each dish there were a few different options so we were in smaller groups for most of the time.

(our group enjoying our 3rd lunch) 

I cooked Kao Soi a yum chicken noodle dish, Tom Yum soup, fish cakes, Penang curry, stir fry (over big gas flame) and black rice pudding. After each time we made something we all sat around the table eating and sharing what other people had made.

(Tom Yum soup) 

They also showed how to make curry paste, but lets be honest, buying it is a bit more practical. We finished up around 5pm so a full day of eating. Definitely didn’t need any more food for the day.

(Big flame!) 

The people on the course were really cool and we all meet up at this funky rooftop bar later on during the night, where even though I was just going to have a quick drink and get to bed early as I was going trekking in the morning, we ended up buying buckets and staying out till about 3am. Fun night and very good times, although hard to get up in the morning!





Tags: ,

Leave a Reply