BootsnAll Travel Network



On Safari Day 4

It rained again last night and again this morning but the tents held up… kind of… the Americans’ tents were wet and there was a tiny leak in mine but not too bad… hopefully it doesn’t rain tooo much more.

Anyway, today, we took a boat ride in the lake next to our campsite. This was a sketchy boat… hehe… but they gave us life jackets so its all good… I must look like a little kid or something because I got a little kids jacket that I couldn’t even zip up. Oh well, I figure if I fell in, the hippos would get me before I drowned. Yes, we saw hippos today!!! Apparently they are very dangerous so we couldn’t go too close. We saw a couple groups of hippos throughout our ride to the other side of the lake but they didn’t do anything really exciting. They actually just kind of hid when we got close.

The other side was a small conservation park… we were allowed to walk in here so I’m guessing there wasn’t anything too dangerous in there. On this walk, we got pretty close to some giraffe, zebras, gazelles… the usual friendly animals. I guess it was actually kind of uneventful… towards the end of the walk, we came to a little salt lake where there were tonnes of flamingos… from a distance, it was beautiful! But when we got closer to walk around it, there were so many dead flamingos everywhere, it was kind of gross… I guess a lot die due to pollution and eagles so its like a little graveyard down there.

We got back to the campsite early afternoon, grabbed lunch and then we were off to Elsamere conservation center. This is were Joy Adamson’s home was. If you don’t know who Joy Adamson is, look her up… her story is actually a very interesting and the conservation park was in such a beautiful setting…. man… these blog entries sound so dry but I really can’t put it into words… sorry.

Due to the rain and rain and more rain, our tents did not hold up well… John’s and the Americans were ok but the woman from the UK ended up going to a dorm and me and Alphonce camped out in the van (Kent, remember camping in my car in Alaska? hehe… good times)… so yeah, the night of day 4 was spent in the van.



Tags:

Leave a Reply