BootsnAll Travel Network



SAT 4.21.07 – Typical day in the life of an independent traveler

Disclaimer: Today’s entry is not a witty story recalling any humorous anecdote. There were no major attractions visited. There were no photos of the weird or beautiful taken. Rather, the following is an account of the type of events that occur during daily life when you break away from the corporate mold and begin to experience the world day by day. For anybody who is too nervous adventure away from their homes, I hope this will serve as insight that everything eventually works out… sometimes better than you could ever have planned.

I awoke with a cup of green tea and set out to find the tattoo parlor recommended by the bartender last night. He was able to give me an address, but I still had no idea how to get there.

The guidebook told me of an internet cafe which was about $8 for half an hour, but I wasn’t about to throw money away like that. I wandered the streets for twenty minutes before approaching a young man on the street. He was about to point me in the right direction, but I guess he realized how bad I was butchering the Japanese language and decided to walk me there instead… in the opposite direction from where he was going. He spoke as little English as I spoke Japanese, but we were able to communicate while walking by throwing out band names that we liked.

I relaxed at the nicest Internet Café I’ve ever used for a couple hours before setting out with new directions in hand. Before leaving Ikebukuro, I checked out the only other attraction in the area; the longest escalator in the world. It was probably the least exciting thing I’ve ever done.

I followed the exact directions but couldn’t find the right building. After asking a policeman if he knew which Kanji said Oowada Building he ended up walking me around for half an hour looking for the sign. It turned out to be a couple streets over from where the directions said, and we only found it thanks to the help of a local shop keeper. Parting ways, he bowed most humbly and set off to do more good.

After entering the building I wasn’t too shocked to find that they had no idea what I was talking about. After a few minutes of failed communication, they found somebody upstairs who could speak English. Michelle, a Korean expat who spoke at least three languages, explained that the tattoo parlor had moved and they weren’t sure where they set up shop. We had an enjoyable conversation before I had to leave and catch a subway back to Shinjuku.

Somehow in the process, I broke down and bought a burger along the way. I know I’m in Japan and the indigenous food is amazing, but I just didn’t have time to sit down for a meal. This scandalous act was justified by a curiosity on how the burgers here compare. I was surprised and satisfied that they adorned it with teriyaki sauce and a few odd toppings.

I was supposed to meet Jake (owner of the Solar Café and farm where I’m working) at an Earth Day Festival in Yoyogi Park near Shinjuku, but there was a problem with his phone and I couldn’t get a hold of him. I decided to head to the bus station and get a ticket for the 4:10p bus that we talked about taking back. Hopefully he’d be on the bus too.

I killed some time nearby playing the most amazing video game… 2 Spicy. Like any fighting game that exists, you beat the opponent by slowly bringing down their health gauge in the best 2 out of 3 matches. The thing that separates this from all the rest is that it plays like a shooting game. You have to aim and gun down the opponent who is diving back and forth behind various barriers. You too, can also move back and forth behind these obstructions. The end result is one of the most exhilarating and entertaining games I’ve ever played!

I boarded the bus on schedule. Jake was not in sight, but I spent the ride talking to a doctor sitting next to me who was more than happy to practice his English. Once the highway bus rolled into Kawaguchiko Station the last bus towards the farm had already left. The people at the information desk told me it would be a two hour walk, but they’d write me a sign in Kanji and maybe I could hitchhike. I started to worry a little bit before I realized that things always work out if you stay positive.

Not even ten minutes into my walk I was picked up by Nao, a local who happened to live in the village next to my destination. He spoke good English, and we talked about music and his time spent at an American university many years ago. He returned to the empty café and I found some free time to do some blogging before Jake, Adam, Naoko, and a few of the local friends showed up for an evening of good food and drinking.

Moral of the story: Even the most unfamiliar stranger can be friendly if you approach them with the right attitude and unexpected events can yield pleasant surprises rather than disappointment.

.


Tags: , , , , , ,

0 responses to “SAT 4.21.07 – Typical day in the life of an independent traveler”

  1. Mike says:

    Less exciting than the worlds largest thermometer?

  2. Amanda L. says:

    Oh Adam, that may not be what people want to hear when they expect exciting things, but that sounds like an awesome day. Wondering how you were doing while I’m back in Jersey!

  3. Greg says:

    Sounds like a good day in the field to me man….keep it up!

    I’m loving the pics too, gorgeous.

    – Greg

  4. Amanda L. says:

    Loving the pictures by the way. Also things are doing okay in jersey. I’ve got an apartment, and looking into two jobs, then take some time off from school after my Associates, and then head out to USC. 😀

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *